Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Residential level 2 charger installation (Ashburn VA/NOVA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for suggestions for a reliable and reasonable electrician to wire and install a level 2 charger in a residence. Appreciate any and all suggestions with $ estimates.

Thanks.
See my NEMA 6-20 outlet installation:

I charge at 15 or 16a/240v.

If you have garage I would suggest having a high quality NEMA 6-20, 14-50 or 10-30 plug installed, and then simply plug in your desired EVSC. I'm sure you'll save a lot of $$$ doing that.

A NEMA 6-20 outlet might be able to installed in lieu of an existing plug, as it can use standard 12-2 wire which is probably already in the wall, as long as it's on a dedicated circuit breaker, by changing the breaker to a 240v 20amp breaker.

Even a standard NEMA 5-15 outlet can be converted to a NEMA 5-20 outlet, and then you can charge at 16a/120v.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My $0.02:
  • Absolutely do NOT install an outlet unless you have a very specific and unusual need. A proper wall charger is cheaper and better in almost every way.
  • Don't mess with junky generic chargers. Tesla's charger is not only the best on the market, but also the cheapest.
  • Anything over 30-40A is plenty for nearly anyone since overnight is overnight.
  • There's a fundamental cost difference between 50A and 60A because it often means the difference between 6/2 Romex and #6 in conduit.
  • Don't let electricians or armchair electricians freak you out about load calculations and the limits of your main breaker panel. Everyone will tell you that you more is more but only you know how much you want. If it's critical to you to charge the car as fast as possible while you weld mufflers, crank up the AC and bake a turkey in your electric oven as you lounge in your jacuzzi, then try it out first. And if the dimming lights really bother you, go ahead and spend another $5000 to upgrade your breaker box.
  • Figure on a couple hundred dollars in parts/labor for each "room" between your breaker box and charger. Much more if attic/basement/soil/concrete paths are difficult.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0