Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Restarting charging from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I parked my 3 at the airport for a week, where I get free charging. Thought was to let it charge up to 70% and leave it there while I am travelling, but then while I am on my way home fully charge it to 90 or even 100% for the ride home and to take advantage of the free charge. I tried increasing the charge limit to 90% from the app, which it saved, but charging did not restart.

Is is possible to increase the charge % from the app and have it restart the charge? Not a huge deal, but I'd rather leave it sitting at a lower charge, but still leave with as much free power as I can.

Thanks

I've not exactly tried what you describe but I have pushed up the charging limit while the car is being charged and it does work. The time to reach the limit recalculates and it shuts off correctly. I think what you may be running into is the (unsettable) lower limit. If left connected to a charger and the battery drains to a certain level, I understand it's supposed to start charging again. My suggestion would be to push up the limit to 100% and see what happens.

arent you being a bit inconsiderate to others to leave your car on a public charger for a whole week?
Its SFO. While I understand your concern I believe they have over 50 chargers spread out in the lots. This is in the long term parking lot, so I believe that is the point of having the chargers, no one is coming back a few hours later to move the car. The the other cars look like they have been there a while as well. It is considered preferred parking.

I've not exactly tried what you describe but I have pushed up the charging limit while the car is being charged and it does work. The time to reach the limit recalculates and it shuts off correctly. I think what you may be running into is the (unsettable) lower limit. If left connected to a charger and the battery drains to a certain level, I understand it's supposed to start charging again. My suggestion would be to push up the limit to 100% and see what happens.

I did try 100%, still shows charging complete.

Doing what you described has worked for me in the past. After the car has stopped charging I can increase the set point in the app and the car will begin to charge. But don't overlook the obvious the car has to have a good Cellular Connection so you can reach it to wake it up. some parking garages suck at having good cell connection. And also needs to be set to always connected in your settings otherwise it can be really tough to wake the car up until fob gets close to it.

I tried increasing the charge limit to 90% from the app, which it saved, but charging did not restart.
Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, or the Model 3 is slightly different with its app use.
Did you then press the button that says "Start Charging"? On the Model S, if it's not currently in a charging cycle, you can move the limit, up, but that won't immediately make it start charging if it's set for overnight charging. You have to push the button to tell it to start charging again.