Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit USB 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I’m new here and a proud owner of a 2019 Model X LR. I’m loving everything about it EXCEPT for the USB limitations. Has anyone explored retrofitting a USB 3.0 port in the place of one of the USB 2.0 ports? I’d love to drop in a USB 3.0 hub and eliminate the limitations....

Is this even possible?

Thanks!

I have a flush cigarette lighter adapter however I can’t close the compartment while my devices charge because of the cigarette lighter cap and I don’t want to break it off.

This solution would also make for a mess of cords. I would love to just have one cord running to a usb hub where the cup holders are (I don’t use those) and then cables coming off the hub available for charging when needed.

I have a flush cigarette lighter adapter however I can’t close the compartment while my devices charge because of the cigarette lighter cap and I don’t want to break it off.

This solution would also make for a mess of cords. I would love to just have one cord running to a usb hub where the cup holders are (I don’t use those) and then cables coming off the hub available for charging when needed.

You might try a right angle cord or adapter. If I get a chance I’ll try it, as I have some. Flap might close enough.

@BlackX2019

Flush 12V to Dual USB with Right Angle 6” extension. I have the 12V flap up so you can see what I have in it. It closes 3/4 of the way.

I had to add a right angle 6” extension to my largish USB Flash drive as well, it was a bigger issue with the door shutting. Also Right angle splitter I use that goes to two 0.5 meter lightning cables. I normally don’t care about charging speed and primarily use that to power my and my wife’s iPhones.

49154158676_a0cfd35f1d_h_d.jpg

49154365742_6ac8850dfd_h_d.jpg

Last edited:
@BlackX2019

Flush 12V to Dual USB with Right Angle 6” extension. I have the 12V flap up so you can see what I have in it. It closes 3/4 of the way.

I had to add a right angle 6” extension to my largish USB Flash drive as well, it was a bigger issue with the door shutting. Also Right angle splitter I use that goes to two 0.5 meter lightning cables. I normally don’t care about charging speed and primarily use that to power my and my wife’s iPhones.

49154158676_a0cfd35f1d_h_d.jpg

49154365742_6ac8850dfd_h_d.jpg
Thanks for sharing. I’ll look into some of those items.