Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofitting glove box USB to early 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m one of the owners of a 2021 Model Y where it was produced the week before glove box USB was included. I’m curious if anyone has been able to retrofit their MCU to have USB in the glove box. This is what my MCU looks like, and it has an open port, but I’m not sure if that’s for the USB cable.

Attachments

• IMG_0921.jpeg
    IMG_0921.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 145
To update this post, yes, if you have that port which is pictured, you can add the glovebox USB. You can buy the cable or whole glove box assembly from eBay. I got the cable and just stuck a hard drive behind the glove box. I don’t intend to move it.

I honestly don't see the point in doing this to have the drive in the glovebox. Auto glove boxes have never been a secure location and can easily be broken into, then you not only lost the contents but you have a damaged glove box door. And the plastic Tesla glove box can be ripped open without any tools. This was a bad move by Tesla to put the drive port in it.

Can you share the part number for the cable?

1565714-00-A
I actually ended up buying a glove box with it attached, it worked perfect.

Looks like all is needed is a short male to female USB extender. The one I linked to is 10 ft, don't get that, unless you want to extend to an entirely different location, which isn't such a bad idea.

https://www.grainger.com/product/30...X5PqvwGsxR6ABXVE9NYaAnWEEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

No, it's not a standard USB-A end. It looked proprietary.