Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return 2020 MS LR after front motor broke coming home from Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my brand new 2020 Model S Long Range with 5 miles on it from the Dania Beach service center yesterday. I live in Naples, FL, so about 100 miles away from my home. I reluctantly took delivery, as the car was dirty, had numerous scratches, blemishes and drips on the outside and a major scratch on the wood on center console. They first told me that all that is going to happen anyway after a short time so I should just take it as is. I persisted and they agreed to fix all the issues at a later date. So, I was driving home and just one mile from my home and the car made a loud metal on metal noise and decelerated rapidly, there was obviously a problem. As I already own a 2018 MX, I did not freak, I pulled over and put the car in park. Upon looking at the screen, I noticed a warning "front motor disabled" I rebooted the car and retried to proceed, no joy. I contacted Tesla Roadside Service via the app and they, via text, had me try a few things to rectify, no joy. They told me they were sending a tow truck and it would be there in 45 min. As I stated, I was only one mile from my home, so I asked if I needed to stay with the car and they said no, they could do a no contact pick up and I should just leave my keys in the cup holder and lock the car with my app and that would be fine. I said I would be happy to return when the tow truck showed up if necessary and that I was available if needed. This was at 6:30 pm. At 8:51 pm, I received a call from Roadside letting me know my car had been towed by my local Sheriff. I ask how they new that and they told me that the sheriff and their tow service called them and ask them to unlock the car so they could properly tow it and Tesla said no, we will not give you access to the car. So, the sheriff apparently dragged my new car onto the flatbed. Tesla did not call me or text me or in any way reach out to let me know this was happening. I thought the car had been picked up well over an hour previous. I asked why they did not open for the sheriff, not like it was a thief, I was speaking with the original person who helped me at Tesla Roadside at first contact and he told me he was on a break at the time when the sheriff called and he did not know exactly what transpired when the sheriff called. But, I had to go get the car from impound and pay at my expense and only then would they re-initiate the pick up. So, what was I to do, I agreed. I then received a text from Tesla Roadside at 9:15 pm, after all this had transpired, letting me know that a tow truck would be arriving in 75 minutes. A bit late as it turns out. So, I went and payed the $280 for the vehicle this morning and re-contacted Tesla Roadside and they picked the car up and took it back to Dania Beach. So, my question is, primarily due to the front motor blowing out, (Tesla has confirmed that front motor will need replacing), the other stuff is just a bit of fuel to the fire, should I let them fix the car, likely weeks or longer and take it back, or return the car and reset for either another Tesla or whatever. I understand the return process is not the quickest. I am just feeling apprehensive about keeping a brand new vehicle after such a major mechanical breakdown on literally the first day and within 100 miles of taking delivery. Thanks in advance for your input!

What a nightmare! Personally I would have refused the car until they fixed those cosmetic issues. Of course that wouldn’t have done anything to fix the major issue. I’m brand new to Tesla (delivery comes on Sunday) so I have no business giving any advice. Good luck!

OP - Sorry to hear that happened to you. Since you mentioned there were other flaws the car had besides the front motor failure, I would most likely return it. Did you find out why the local Sheriff had the car towed ?

Red flags galore. I would've never taken delivery of this car. The simple fact that the delivery center told you that "these things will happen anyway" regarding the interior scratches would've had me walking right out the door. Also their agreement to fix cosmetic issues - if it's not in writing, assume it will not be honored.

Return this car immediately and buy again from a different service center if possible.

should I let them fix the car, likely weeks or longer and take it back, or return the car and reset for either another Tesla or whatever. I understand the return process is not the quickest.

if you return the car their policy is that you can't order another of the same trim level for 12 months. So you would have to re-order a SR, SR+, or Performance, unless they made an exception for you.

It also can take a couple months to process the return, and get your money back. So unless you have the money/credit to buy another car before the return is processed you wouldn't get the replacement in time for the $1,875 federal tax credit. (Assuming you qualify.)

RETURN IT! Since Tesla delivered it to you in questionable shape, you cant assume they will fix things properly on this car! It may take a couple months to get the refund but that seems like the only reasonable way to go. I am going thru a similar thing with a defective used MS, and have lost faith in Tesla at this point. Communication is terrible too! You might want to consider waiting for a Polestar instead!

if you return the car their policy is that you can't order another of the same trim level for 12 months. So you would have to re-order a SR, SR+, or Performance, unless they made an exception for you.

It also can take a couple months to process the return, and get your money back. So unless you have the money/credit to buy another car before the return is processed you wouldn't get the replacement in time for the $1,875 federal tax credit. (Assuming you qualify.)
I may luck out as if it takes until January to return, which it likely will, I will get the tax credit regardless as I will be an owner from 12/5 through the end of the year. I may be wrong, but I am going with it unless I find out differently.

Reactions: voltage
I may luck out as if it takes until January to return, which it likely will, I will get the tax credit regardless as I will be an owner from 12/5 through the end of the year. I may be wrong, but I am going with it unless I find out differently.

The actual return happens quickly, the refund takes up to two months. If the car was titled in your name you can likely qualify for the tax credit even if it is returned instantly, but that would really be for a discussion with your tax professional.

And I'm not sure how I thought you bought a Model 3, but since it was a Model S your only option to re-order would be to order a Performance one, which is an extra $20k. (Again unless they make an exception.)

The actual return happens quickly, the refund takes up to two months. If the car was titled in your name you can likely qualify for the tax credit even if it is returned instantly, but that would really be for a discussion with your tax professional.

And I'm not sure how I thought you bought a Model 3, but since it was a Model S your only option to re-order would be to order a Performance one, which is an extra $20k. (Again unless they make an exception.)
Well, to be honest, I am currently leaning toward a Lincoln Navigator Black Label or a Model X, So, I should be fine either way. And, I agree about the tax credit. I should be fine even if the refund is processed prior to the yearend.