Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returning Tesla M3P after month, possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I got my own M3P about few months ago. I know that I can return in 7 days and under 1000 miles but is this still possible to return this after these few months? Now there is under 2000 miles because this situation.

I tried to look if there is any similar threads but didn't not find any.

Main problem is that I am not happy with range and also long list problem related quality. I didn't expect this long list when I got this but seems that there is still quality problems and lot of those. Every day I notice something new. I am waiting to get maintenance but I already know that they will fix some but some they will say that is normal.

Also little bit fear of that after 5 years I don't get any money out of this car. Also because I paid extra to get wanted color on car but now seems that it will be white after those years.

If I really wanted to get out of it I would get anything notable fixed and sell it at car broker for whatever they offer. If that wasn't acceptable to me I would live with the car, at least for a year or two, and get things fix. Then sell it around before you get past year three and are still under warranty. You could always try lemon law, but highly unlikely.

Last edited:
Reactions: ra88it
After owning a car after a few months you want to return it to Tesla.

At this point I think your option would be to sell the car to someone that would like to buy a used Tesla.

You might have other options in regards to your list of quality concerns in Finland, but that was somewhat vague so not much to go on.

Car is 2020 model so it's brand new. So will Tesla take car back? Maybe not get full refund or should I try to sell this someone who might want M3P?

No, there is no "return" in this case unless you can make them do a buy back. Its not impossible to get a buy back, but you absolutely are NOT going to get one "because I am not happy with the range" and other minor things. You are going to lose money, but your course of action is to either sell it to someone private party, or take it to a carmax etc. You are going to lose a lot of money (several thousand), but if you truly hate the car, "its just money".

I thought first to keep this car but now when my list got longer seems this is not exactly what I expected when I was made test run on local dealer. That car was that I wanted. Didn't notice this kind of issues what I have here. That car was also painted so now qaulity issues there.

Due this situation I have driven randomly and didn't always noticed everything on first days.

I like Tesla technical stuff and driving it but those quality issues bothers me. Quality is like used car but technic is new.

If you have warranty issues, get them fixed. If your question is "can I return the car because I don't like some things about it" then the answer is no unless there's some specific law in Finland allowing it. That's doubtful. COVID-19 doesn't change anything.

Reactions: Matsayz
I thought first to keep this car but now when my list got longer seems this is not exactly what I expected when I was made test run on local dealer. That car was that I wanted. Didn't notice this kind of issues what I have here. That car was also painted so now qaulity issues there.

Due this situation I have driven randomly and didn't always noticed everything on first days.

I like Tesla technical stuff and driving it but those quality issues bothers me. Quality is like used car but technic is new.

You should have been reading forums, for some time, before you purchased. This is common with Tesla.

They will fix many of the things. You just have to do the work through it, and accept some of the other things as qwerks of the car.

I wanted a Tela since the S in 2012 and had a preorder, canceled, same with 3 day one preorder, and cancel, then finally got a Tesla in Dec. I've been on the forum for SEVEN years and still freaked out over QC, fit / finish. I've had Tesla take care of a few things and just got past the other things.

The car is TOO much to drive.

As for range when Porsche day's you get 18/24 mpg gallon do you really think you get it? Heck no. Not if you have the radio up, the HVAC on, the heated seats on, more than one person who weighs 150 in the car, you're only driving 40 mph, and your acceleration is slower than turtle. Same goes with a Tesla you will never get the stated range if your driving hard, fast, with everything on, etc. I got a third of the stated street range on my Audi due to having everything on all the time and spirited driving.

Get what you can get fixed, try and enjoy what Tesla offers that no one else currently can, and see where you are in a couple months. But first relax and breathe.

:)

Reactions: dhrivnak
This sounds like buyer's remorse and you're racking your brain to come up with a list of things you don't like about the car to help validate your desire to return it. Especially since you've ruminated on this for months rather than doing a thorough inspection and shakedown during the 7-day window in which you could have return the car.

Case in point:
Also little bit fear of that after 5 years I don't get any money out of this car. Also because I paid extra to get wanted color on car but now seems that it will be white after those years.
You don't get to return a car because you think you had made a wrong choice in paint color that may affect its future resale value.

For the actual defects, get Tesla to fix them under warranty.

Last edited:
I think your best bet might be to trade it in with a legacy manufacturer and pick up another EV that still qualifies for the $7,500 tax credit. You’ll lose on the trade, but if you get a tax credit you might break even. Now that limits you to other EV’s and honestly Tesla is the leader when it comes to range and features, but maybe reach out via email to Jaguar and talk about what offers in the i-Pace or Audi eTron?

Other than that you don’t really have any options besides a trade on another car or selling it privately.

Curious, have you ever bought a new car before? Has any dealer ever given you the belief that you could return it after a few months?

I think your best bet might be to trade it in with a legacy manufacturer and pick up another EV that still qualifies for the $7,500 tax credit. You’ll lose on the trade, but if you get a tax credit you might break even. Now that limits you to other EV’s and honestly Tesla is the leader when it comes to range and features, but maybe reach out via email to Jaguar and talk about what offers in the i-Pace or Audi eTron?

Other than that you don’t really have any options besides a trade on another car or selling it privately.

Curious, have you ever bought a new car before? Has any dealer ever given you the belief that you could return it after a few months?
Do they have a 7500 tax credit in finland (where the OPs information under his name shows him)?

No, but they might have other (even better) local incentives. His location doesn’t show on mobile, just “new member” under his name.

"For the period 2018–2021, people who are either buying a new electric car or signing a long-term lease agreement for an electric car may receive a €2,000 purchase subsidy from the Finnish government. You receive the purchase subsidy directly as a discount on the price of the electric car being bought."

Hmm... I wonder what trade values would be than on going for an ICE if he didn’t want electric. It’s possible the legacy guys might not be factoring in the 2,000 credit/discount. Even if you lose 10% or something that might be based on MSRP before your credit and you might not have that bad of a loss...

Does Finland have a "lemon law"? That's where the car has a defect that the manufacturer cannot repair in a reasonable period of time. In many US jurisdictions, this is when the car is unavailable to the owner for more than 30 days. I suspect Finland might have a similar consumer law but the OP doesn't say what the problem(s) are. If it's unsatisfactory paint, that's unlikely to be included.

They would not allow me to return on day 8. They did say that the only time they make an exception is when the car has an issue that does not allow for seven consecutive days of driving. Your options are to keep it for a while like somebody else recommended. Give Tesla an opportunity to fix the issues. It sounds like you have lost confidence in the car or have buyer's remorse. Perhaps if you give them a chane to fix it, drive it a while, and you be happy that you kept it. The other option like somebody suggested...sell it. Get things fixed first and then list it. The resale is still high, and there aren't many 2020's out there. If you're patient, you won't lose much.