Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse Back Up Lights Not Working - Blown Fuse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yet my SC has 2 MC240’s but are using my CanSr because they are worried the old units may fail, despite checking they work still on my car. The roadster Tech locks them up. But mine is there to sort out a charging issue so I guess it’s understandable. But they even washed and polished it the day they thought they fixed it. And they must see 3 or 4 roadsters every 5 years!!

Regarding charging our cars at the Service Centers, the local one doesn't even have that capability. So it's not that they don't want to, it's that they can't. Having a CAN-SR on the shelf is obviously the answer, but they're not an "official Tesla service device", or words to that effect. Sheesh.

Tell them that's a lame excuse. A lot of service centers have purchased CAN SRs so they can charge Roadsters. If other SCs can do it then so can yours. They have a responsibility to charge our cars when they service them IMO.

Agreed. If they don't/can't charge the car, then they haven't tested the charging system. They can't test it before working on a car, and can't test it after (to make sure they haven't broken something that was working before).
No argument from me.

I think they have a different service manager since last year, so we'll see what happens this year. He seemed willing to work with me during the wheel lock adventure. The car is slightly overdue for its annual leaf removal, but I'm still having the "it's not broke, don't fix it" hesitation to book the appointment.

Heard from Gruber earlier this week that my PEM connectors were actually okay, so whatever is controlling the back up signal in the PEM, indeed, went bad.

This makes me a little less annoyed with Tesla Service, but I’m still in a bit of shock that something as simple as a back up signal requires a whole new PEM.

Heard from Gruber earlier this week that my PEM connectors were actually okay, so whatever is controlling the back up signal in the PEM, indeed, went bad.

This makes me a little less annoyed with Tesla Service, but I’m still in a bit of shock that something as simple as a back up signal requires a whole new PEM.

Hopefully everything will come to a good end with your roadster. In the short two years now that I've been on board, the service experience at Tesla has gone downhill. When I first got my car service was great (I still appreciate those pictures you snagged for me by the way). Service lately is certainly challenging. I recently had to deal with it when I had my Sig in Tempe for about a week getting repairs done all of which turned out okay but it ain't easy!

How's your Sig. Holding up?

They said about 22-23 Roadsters were there...
...and two of those are literally sitting on the shelves to the left of the photo there :eek:

IMG_0182.JPG

giphy.gif

Hopefully everything will come to a good end with your roadster. In the short two years now that I've been on board, the service experience at Tesla has gone downhill. When I first got my car service was great (I still appreciate those pictures you snagged for me by the way). Service lately is certainly challenging. I recently had to deal with it when I had my Sig in Tempe for about a week getting repairs done all of which turned out okay but it ain't easy!

How's your Sig. Holding up?

@tccartier - Good to hear from you! Was actually reading some of your road trip posts earlier and was going to send you a note.

Sig Red 588 is fantastic! I get compliments on it just about every time I drive it. No one can believe it’s a 7-year old car. Only issue I had in my short 2 years of ownership was the need for an MCU replacement for bubbling. Other than that, 588 is in great shape and running strong.

Seems like you’re still loving yours as well! Send me a note if you’re in Phoenix. Maybe - just maybe - I’ll have a Roadster you can check out and drive.

Reactions: tccartier
I’m happy to report the good folks at Gruber have solved this mystery!

I’m going to paste Peter’s response below:

“There was a pin underneath the main motherboard in the PEM that was bent and making contact outside the terminal housing.

That is the pin responsible for the 12V power out to the reverse lights. We straightened the pin out and corrected the terminal housing, the boards mate fine again, and the connection is now present to the connector on the underside of the PEM.”

714AE930-883D-41A4-80FA-FA5B8500A2BA.jpeg

861186D9-6E3E-43B4-B490-E9F01425FF5E.jpeg

A BIG THANK YOU goes out to Gruber on this one!

Secondly, I’ll have to share this knowledge and my concern with Tesla. To recap, my backup light was functioning just fine until annual service in 6/2019. My car was returned to me with the backup light not working. Upon further diagnostics at Tesla, I was told I need an $8000 refurbished PEM. Gruber just found the culprit to be a bent pin, which was clearly bent during my annual service.

Wow! Fantastic job from Gruber!

Or to be frankly. That is the difference from plain unskilled ”parts-replacement-people” =Tesla... and really good engineers/mechanics =Grubers. That ”understand” really how it works, how the signals goes and logically ”following the chain” to see where the errors are starting to appear.

”Parts replacement-ideology” is really good when the diagnosis system identify small/cheap parts/components that can be esally replaced by unskilled mechanich.

=Classical malfunctional/error MANUAL diganosis. An ART that has since longe dissapered in many industries, since the ”diagnostic Tools” has been developed... To show what part is defect. Problem is that on the Roadster everything is built together in the ”brain =PEM”. And Tesla ServiceCenters doesn’t have the skills ( at least anymore) to do ”brainsurgery”. So they always suggests an new brain, and the next problem is that the brain costs 10k+$ IF even available...

To compare to a combustionengine. It would be like they almost always suggests a completely refurbished engine when a enginelight is turned on. Regardless what the fault is with the old engine. AND that they themselves also mess up the old engine at the annual service as a rootcourse of the problem.

Not sure why Tesla would have been inside the PEM during the annual service, and absolutely no reason to remove the board. My guess is that the pin was previously barely making contact by touching outside the connector and got slightly jarred when the PEM was removed for cleaning. Either it was apart before or was assembled that way originally.

Not sure why Tesla would have been inside the PEM during the annual service, and absolutely no reason to remove the board. My guess is that the pin was previously barely making contact by touching outside the connector and got slightly jarred when the PEM was removed for cleaning. Either it was apart before or was assembled that way originally.

I'm guessing it happened during the PEM cleaning at annual service.

If it was poorly assembled to begin from the get-go, I'm guessing bumps in the road from normal driving may have knocked it loose much earlier. I've owned the car since 8/2013 and the backup light has been working just fine until 6/2019 annual service.

I just received a little more info on this issue to add to the knowledge base :

“In addition to the bent PEC board pin, the drive motor power connector block was broken and the SC attempted to reglue the connector block. This explains how the pin got bent on the PEC board inside the PEM, since this board had to be removed to get at the broken power connector block.

This block is going on 10 years old, is ABS plastic and gets brittle with age, gets a lot of abuse each time an annual is done and the power cables are reconnected and retorqued.

It is no longer in production, and proprietary to the Tesla Roadster PEM”

Tesla clearly had someone unfamiliar with Roadsters attempt my annual service, and I’m disturbed it appears they tried to re-glue a broken connector. Of course, they made no mention of this to me.

As long as I own it, Tesla will never be doing my Roadster’s annual service again.

Gruber Motor Company (GMC) is fortunate to have extensive background in servicing complex electronics, often without the support of OEMs which ends up making us even more skilled since without schematics and documentation support, we have to reverse engineer and develop our own.

The seemingly simple bent pin fix was an arduous process starting with lengthy reverse engineering process, switching to observing signal flows, firmware commands, and culminating in a initially less than obvious bent pin issue.

The broken connector block could have happened to anyone. As we have noticed, Roadster parts and sub-assemblies are aging, becoming compromised with age, and we are trying to stay ahead of the curve by sourcing or recreating parts. This connector block is unique to the PEM, and no replacements are available. Once we have recreated this part, it will become part of our PEM upgrade.

The Scottsdale Tesla SC happens to be staffed with top notch, knowledgeable and tenured Roadster techs. They do not typically work inside the PEMs or board level repair complex Roadster electronics.

As is usually the case, Tesla eventually always does the right thing. At lower levels, policies, protocols often dictate how things are handled.
As issues percolate upstream, Tesla is very generous extending goodwill gestures, as they did in this case. Between GMC and Tesla, this customer is no longer out of pocket, deservedly so.

What may not be readily apparent, is that Tesla corporate is filled with leadership that is very much committed to the early adopters and owners of the first significant Tesla vehicles, the Roadster. A sense of nostalgia surrounds this vehicle within the Tesla ranks, and the roots that made Tesla what it is today, is not forgotten. Granted, challenges still abound, but I assure you there is a dedicated team of people working on first gen Roadster issues, including ourselves.

Gruber Motor Company (GMC) is fortunate to have extensive background in servicing complex electronics, often without the support of OEMs which ends up making us even more skilled since without schematics and documentation support, we have to reverse engineer and develop our own.

The seemingly simple bent pin fix was an arduous process starting with lengthy reverse engineering process, switching to observing signal flows, firmware commands, and culminating in a initially less than obvious bent pin issue.

The broken connector block could have happened to anyone. As we have noticed, Roadster parts and sub-assemblies are aging, becoming compromised with age, and we are trying to stay ahead of the curve by sourcing or recreating parts. This connector block is unique to the PEM, and no replacements are available. Once we have recreated this part, it will become part of our PEM upgrade.

The Scottsdale Tesla SC happens to be staffed with top notch, knowledgeable and tenured Roadster techs. They do not typically work inside the PEMs or board level repair complex Roadster electronics.

As is usually the case, Tesla eventually always does the right thing. At lower levels, policies, protocols often dictate how things are handled.
As issues percolate upstream, Tesla is very generous extending goodwill gestures, as they did in this case. Between GMC and Tesla, this customer is no longer out of pocket, deservedly so.

What may not be readily apparent, is that Tesla corporate is filled with leadership that is very much committed to the early adopters and owners of the first significant Tesla vehicles, the Roadster. A sense of nostalgia surrounds this vehicle within the Tesla ranks, and the roots that made Tesla what it is today, is not forgotten. Granted, challenges still abound, but I assure you there is a dedicated team of people working on first gen Roadster issues, including ourselves.
That depends very much on where you are located. I can attest that HONG KONG is not privy to commitment to looking after older models!