Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rumor: Tesla’s testing reverse summon, where the car goes and finds a parking spot on its own.

Quote:
... was released to engineers for testing, , and it is currently quite good. ... will have multiple modes where you can pick where it parks, including things like "closest to the door", "near cart returns", or "end of the parking lot" for ding avoidance.

771BD811-DB6C-4855-92F4-445FDD865333.png

(Added by EVNow in: thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the use of Reverse Summon will come with the caveat that it is "intended for use with a fully attentive driver, who has their hands on the wheel and is prepared to take over at any moment."
It does seem like it will be an impossible feature to use from outside the vehicle in accordance with the instructions. If it decides to park between two cars or near a curb and you're not at the right angle to monitor it what are you supposed to do? I guess stop it and then run to the proper angle to observe it? It seems like the only way it will work is if it can determine the sight lines and only park in spaces where you can see 360 degrees around it.

Reactions: Terminator857
Agree, this will be a difficult feature to test and likely will require someone to be in close proximity and good angle to observe. When I park I often come with in a few inches of other vehicles. I'm not sure I would trust reverse summon with that task, unless there was a birds eye view beamed to my phone.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Agree, this will be a difficult feature to test and likely will require someone to be in close proximity and good angle to observe. When I park I often come with in a few inches of other vehicles. I'm not sure I would trust reverse summon with that task, unless there was a birds eye view beamed to my phone.
Yes - it will be interesting to see how Tesla handles it. If they say you have to be able to see the car and monitor all the time i.e. you as the owner bear all responsibility and they won't assume any liability - the feature becomes that much less useful.

OTOH, I don't think Tesla will take liability in this early phase of the feature ... so, we may end up with another party trick.

I'm assuming the warnings will be the same as Smart Summon. Seems like a good bet but if not that would be awesome.
But summon doesn't call for "spaces where you can see 360 degrees around it."

Anyway, I'm fairly sure at this stage, Tesla won't take liability.

ps : I think the real issue is liability of hitting VRU and 100s of millions in damages that might result. That chance would have to be very, very low before anyone takes responsibility in consumer cars (in OECD).

But summon doesn't call for "spaces where you can see 360 degrees around it."

Anyway, I'm fairly sure at this stage, Tesla won't take liability.

ps : I think the real issue is liability of hitting VRU and 100s of millions in damages that might result. That chance would have to be very, very low before anyone takes responsibility in consumer cars (in OECD).
It says you must maintain clear line of sight. So that precludes parking between two cars. At least with Smart Summon you could have clear line of sight of the path the car is taking, with reverse summon that is less likely to be true.
My favorite warning is this one:
1644954894304.png

Even if you monitor it perfectly it may still hit things due to lag in the control! And they say explicitly that it can't reliably detect curbs.

Wait - if you can summon a car parked between two cars - you can also reverse summon to park between two cars. The same line of sight rules apply.
Yeah, you shouldn't summon the car when it's parked between two cars either. You should proactively anticipate that there are no ultrasonics on the doors so it may clip the vehicle parked next to you. This is all clearly laid out in the manual.
At least with Smart Summon you can see where your car is parked so you can avoid using it in violation of the warnings. With reverse summon you'll have to disengage if it chooses to park between two cars.

I bought my M3 in March of 2020. My sales guy then told me they were working on this feature. I love the car, but I've also learned not to hold my breath. Elon has proven himself to be unreliable. I bought FSD and regret it. I don't think FSD can happen solely on vision. How can FSD keep the car in it's lane when there is snow on the ground? Will they be finished with FSD by the time I move on to my next car? I will be really pissed if they're not.

I bought my M3 in March of 2020. My sales guy then told me they were working on this feature. I love the car, but I've also learned not to hold my breath. Elon has proven himself to be unreliable. I bought FSD and regret it. I don't think FSD can happen solely on vision. How can FSD keep the car in it's lane when there is snow on the ground? Will they be finished with FSD by the time I move on to my next car? I will be really pissed if they're not.
Does autopilot work in the snow?

I would think it will be a long time before automated driving is recommended in rain and snow.