Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rumor: Tesla’s testing reverse summon, where the car goes and finds a parking spot on its own.

Quote:
... was released to engineers for testing, , and it is currently quite good. ... will have multiple modes where you can pick where it parks, including things like "closest to the door", "near cart returns", or "end of the parking lot" for ding avoidance.

771BD811-DB6C-4855-92F4-445FDD865333.png

(Added by EVNow in: thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: VanFriscia
The reverse summon should actually be “quite easy”. It’s just going around the parking lot and auto parking. Tesla has all the basic parts (though navigation through parking lots is quite painful and jittery now).
Still waiting for that "one stack" release, to see whether regular, forwards Smart Summon has the capability of being remotely usable...

Still waiting for that "one stack" release, to see whether regular, forwards Smart Summon has the capability of being remotely usable...
"single stack" won't improve any functionality automagically (except perhaps FSD to NOA handoff). Each feature needs to be worked on ...

ps : The basic issue with summon is not really perception - but planning. It has separate planning code than FSD Beta city driving. But, may be changes to that might be on the way - just like on AI day they showed how NN based Monte Carlo simulation might be good at finding optimal path to automatically park (reverse summon) - they might be trying out summon too. Infact it could be one of early ones they release too - since the summon planning is actually done in the cloud. It would be easy to experiment with that and quickly iterate.

Last edited:
Rumor: Tesla testing reverse summon, where the car goes and finds a parking spot on its own.
Quote:
... was released to engineers for testing, , and it is currently quite good. ... will have multiple modes where you can pick where it parks, including things like "closest to the door", "near cart returns", or "end of the parking lot" for ding avoidance.
I'm surprised the post didn't mention the fact that - the example they gave for Monte Carlo / NN planning is reverse summon on AI day ! So, obviously they have been working on it.

1644887731913.png

"single stack" won't improve any functionality automagically (except perhaps FSD to NOA handoff). Each feature needs to be worked on ...

ps : The basic issue with summon is not really perception - but planning. It has separate planning code than FSD Beta city driving. But, may be changes to that might be on the way - just like on AI day they showed how NN based Monte Carlo simulation might be good at finding optimal path to automatically park (reverse summon) - they might be trying out summon too. Infact it could be one of early ones they release too - since the summon planning is actually done in the cloud. It would be easy to experiment with that and quickly iterate.
Good points all around. I'm hoping some of FSD's planning behaviors also make it into NoA though, e.g. going around partial obstructions in traffic, quicker lane changes, etc. I also see Smart Summon as a prototype for the birds eye view networks they are using more of for FSD beta, so presumably building on those improvements will help perception somewhat.

I would presume Tesla would have to extend the distance for reverse summon to work properly. Currently regular summon limits this which often times makes the function of little value. (note- I rarely use summon). Will be interesting to see how regulators treat this driver less feature on public vs private parking lots. I'm a bit dubious of the post but one thing is for sure is many drivers once they realize it's a driver less car will just take the parking spot.

Last edited:
"Reverse Summon". Gee, who comes up with these names? I bought several stocks on the stock market last year that I plan to sell today. Oh, wait, I'M using the wrong term by Tesla standards. I guess I should be saying I will be doing come reverse buying today. :)
I think that's what the community has been calling it.

As far as I know the feature has never been on a list of promised features AFTER Tesla revised the EAP/FSD Feature list.

We simply know that its required for FSD Beta to fulfill its original promise.

Officially its probably simply going to be an extension to the AutoPark. They'll probably call it Smart AutoPark or something like that.

Like Smart Summon was simply an extension to the Summon feature. Originally it was called Enhanced Summon.