Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rumor: Tesla’s testing reverse summon, where the car goes and finds a parking spot on its own.

Quote:
... was released to engineers for testing, , and it is currently quite good. ... will have multiple modes where you can pick where it parks, including things like "closest to the door", "near cart returns", or "end of the parking lot" for ding avoidance.

771BD811-DB6C-4855-92F4-445FDD865333.png

(Added by EVNow in: thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
Autopilot or FSD ? FSD seems to stop working … not AP.

PS: I’ve not tried auto park in rain lately, will try this week.
At highway speeds, as the rain intensity increases, NOA will drop to AP, then AP will drop to TACC, then, finally TACC will tell you you're on your own.

AP will hang on surprisingly well even in nighttime rain. I've had it keep going at times when I had a hard time seeing what it saw and was glad for what it would do. NOA, on the other had, will bail in light to moderate rain.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr and tm1v2
Reverse summon is an odd name for what is probably one of the oldest robocar features on the list. I proposed in in the mid 2000s. Stanford and VW demonstrated it in 2009, Audi did demos at CES in 2011. Mercedes offers it as a service at Stuttgart Airport. Of course, not generalized to random lots (and probably a better idea to get maps of the lots but Tesla won't do that.) Parking lots are actually the most non-standard place in the world, no rules on signs or traffic flow, no laws governing them.

This was also the first business plan of Cruise, which I talked them out of, before they went to bolt-on Autopilot and then to robotaxi.

But it would actually be useful, if it worked, and could happen without supervision. Most people call it robotic valet parking because that's how it would work, in both directions - no supervision by you.

• Informative
Reactions: edseloh
Zero chance I would trust this to park the car. When I first got my M3, I tested Smart Summon about a dozen times. The very first time, I was impressed. The other 11 times, it was like a drunk driver or a 9 year old taking over the wheel. It did a 20 point turn for no reason and got stuck in several driveways, it crossed double-solid-yellow lines in a parking lot, it got parked on the opposite side of a cul-de-sac because it didn't know how to drive around it... the list goes on and on.

I can already picture coming out of a store to find your Tesla double parked, blocking people in... or sitting in the middle of a traffic lane somewhere.

Acceptably good to me is when Tesla will include zero deductible Summon insurance with the $199 per month FSD subscription.
You have low expectations, good to see ;)

This will "never"* come true. You will NOT get $199 per month FSD subscription with liability insurance included. It will be much more because, if its true FSD, it is worth a lot more. I mean, the current price is $199 with 1 in 10 mile disengagement !! If the disengagement rate in 1 in million miles, its obviously worth more. Unlike goods, services rarely go down much in price.

5+ years away is my guestimate. Before that happens most of us will likely be very comfortable with it.
5 years is too far away to really have any confidence in estimates. To me it just means, "not anytime soon, who knows when it will actually happen".

* : This decade.

Last edited:
You have low expectations, good to see ;)

This will "never" come true. You will NOT get $199 per month FSD subscription with liability insurance included. It will be much more because, if its true FSD, it is worth a lot more.
If it includes robotaxi capability I would pay much more! I was thinking just Smart Summon and Reverse Summon where I could get out the car and have the car go park itself while I go into the store or whatever.

If it includes robotaxi capability I would pay much more! I was thinking just Smart Summon and Reverse Summon where I could get out the car and have the car go park itself while I go into the store or whatever.
Unlikely to be unbundled ;)

ps : "One of the biggest mistakes people make, and I’m guilty of it too, is wishful thinking. You want something to be true, even if it isn’t true. And so you ignore the real truth because of what you want to be true. This is a very difficult trap to avoid" -EM

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
A pleasant surprise. Where did they say that? I wish they would do this in FSD in silicon valley. (Which of course people keep saying they think they do, but not where I drive.)
I don't think they ever said that - its just the community figuring this out after Summon came. You could go and change OSM maps on parking lots and see it reflected in what Tesla showed in a few days / realtime.

BTW, they definitely use maps in parking lot with FSD Beta too. They can route you through parking lots (i.e. if you are in a parking lot and enter a destination, they figure out how to get out of the parking lot and drive on public roads - so they are using parking lot maps).

Interesting. And nice that people can edit OSM. Parking lots are often much more complex than on OSM. For example, many have reserved spots or spots with other special regulations just written in English. A car could learn to identify handicap spots but it's a challenge to understand them all. I think what you want is for parking lot owners to take the effort to improve the map of their lot, tag the restricted spaces, even eventually tag some spaces as "robot only" meaning the cars can park there more densely, valet style.

Interesting. And nice that people can edit OSM. Parking lots are often much more complex than on OSM. For example, many have reserved spots or spots with other special regulations just written in English. A car could learn to identify handicap spots but it's a challenge to understand them all. I think what you want is for parking lot owners to take the effort to improve the map of their lot, tag the restricted spaces, even eventually tag some spaces as "robot only" meaning the cars can park there more densely, valet style.
Then there are multilevel parking lots … which I think OSM doesn’t handle.

Reactions: edseloh