Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review - New BlackVue Mount for Model S w/ AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently installed a BlackVue DR900S-2CH in my Model S w/ AP1. Rather than using the adhesive mount (which I suspect wouldn't last long due to the hot summers here in Florida), I purchased a new 3d printed mount from EDR Auto out of France. The quality and fit seem great so far, and I haven't seen anyone discuss this particular mount yet, so I wanted to offer my feedback and some pictures. I hope this is helpful to other Model S AP1 owners considering a BlackVue Camera.
IMG_5745.jpgIMG_5754.jpg IMG_5749.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: JohnnyG
I live in a hot area. The sticky on the Blackvue mounts works most of the time without incident. I've had four camera now. Each was a 2 CH. But, don't peel the mount off to move it. Its a one time stick to insure it will hold the mount/camera.

I live in a hot area. The sticky on the Blackvue mounts works most of the time without incident. I've had four camera now. Each was a 2 CH. But, don't peel the mount off to move it. Its a one time stick to insure it will hold the mount/camera.
That's good feedback on your adhesive mounts working well. I saw a couple youtube videos suggesting otherwise, so I decided to take the physical mount approach. Also, I think the end-result has a more "factory-look" to it. Someone who's not familiar with Model S might not even notice this is an aftermarket camera since the mount is installed permanently rather than with adhesive to the windshield..

That's good feedback on your adhesive mounts working well. I saw a couple youtube videos suggesting otherwise, so I decided to take the physical mount approach. Also, I think the end-result has a more "factory-look" to it. Someone who's not familiar with Model S might not even notice this is an aftermarket camera since the mount is installed permanently rather than with adhesive to the windshield..
I agree with you. Its an excellent method for mounting. It appears to disappear. Much better hiding than the Blackvue mount.
I think the developer is on TMC as David99. He's also developed an AP2 version. A few people bought it too.

• Informative
Reactions: JohnnyG
Our 2 Blackvues with the OEM (3M) adhesive pads hold fine over many (3-5 years) in hot sun (95 degrees). never had one fall off. Do have cars set for Cabin Overheat Protection. YMMV.
Yes, the Blackvue sticky is good and holds well over time. I removed mine a couple of times. That's why I know it doesn't like to be re-used. I learned that after the first use, just to remove it. I replace it with 3M automotive emblem mounting double sided tape. I tried the Blackvue replacement sticky that comes with the camera. Didn't last 3 days. Now, I don't even peel the tape off it - just leave them in the bag.

Our 2 Blackvues with the OEM (3M) adhesive pads hold fine over many (3-5 years) in hot sun (95 degrees). never had one fall off. Do have cars set for Cabin Overheat Protection. YMMV.
You call 95 degrees hot. So funny :). It was 108 here yesterday and that is not even extreme yet.

I like the physical mount. We'll have to wait and see if the 3d printed mount survives a few summers.

Reactions: Evoforce
Yes, this unit is designed only for Model S w/ AP1. There are other versions for AP2 that have been reviewed in this forum. Yes, the camera can easily slide in/out of the mount, but is sturdy enough to stay stationary even during heavy acceleration / braking / cornering.
Dah, in my hasteness to order, I ass-umed Model X and S with AP1 shared the same housings. The EDR folk’s eBay Page didn’t list the one you have so I incorrectly ordered the wrong mount. Have asked them if they are making more of the S w/ AP1 mounts. Will be putting the X w/ AP1 up for sale in the classifieds.

My DR900S-2CH overheats and shuts down occasionally on warm days. Even with cabin overheat protection.

Is the designer on this thread? Do you think you could include a small shield to block direct heating of the body of the camera? (Without blocking the lens)

I have this mount as well. I was going to post my review but you beat me to it. It does work well, but I can not snap the bottom trim peice 100 percent perfect. Its enough that I can live with it. It keeps me from having to put the adhesive on the windshield and is much cleaner looking. The big reason I got this is that I have my front window tinted. If I try to pull the adhesive off I'll ruin the tint.

Another "EDR auto" mount here - 2017 S / AP 2.0.
It works but... how to say, the printing quality could be better. It's especially visible on the bottom rounded part (top when printed). Slicing and printing with variable layer height would make a huge difference. Also the camera opening was not completely round and the camera did not fit out of the box, I had to file the opening. So I'd say it needs to be considered "finish it by yourself" project, not drop in replacement.
I don't see plastic type declared anywhere, looks like PLA. So hopefully it won't get deformed in hot temperatures. Also would be nice to add some vent holes to let the hot air from camera to go away as it covers significant part of camera (DR-900) vent holes.