Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review of new MY Hitch Cover for all VIN's!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Hello all! I currently own an MYP, and MS Plaid, and was longing for a better hitch receiver cover than the crappy (and hard to remove) OEM plastic cover. After much searching, I found a company making a high quality, made in the USA (NY, specifically), solution and wanted share pictures and the final result.

Full Disclosure: I was one of 20 pre-orders, but paid for this product to help offset the development and manufacturing costs. The product cost $250, and I have no financial arrangement (or benefit) with the seller (Marco), whom I don't even know (aside from buying the product).

Review:

Product is really high quality, not some cheap injection molded plastic product from Asia. Shipping was USPS Priority mail, so it came really fast, vs. shipments from the Asian continent that have to clear customs, etc. Installation was fast and I experienced no issues with the installation. There is also a "pull handle" provided, making the removal a snap!

The company is Strategic Environmental Business Engineering . Contact information (email) can be found on thier web site.
IMG_0792.jpeg
IMG_0785.jpeg
IMG_0786.jpeg
IMG_0787.jpeg
IMG_0788.jpeg
IMG_0791.jpeg

I hope you enjoy, and find helpful, the pictures and review!

Last edited:
Mine was also one of the pre-orders and Marco let me know that mine’s on the way. Is breaking all the clips off part of the installation process? I know I have to use the cover that came with the car, but I’d imagine when pushing the bar into the hitch that the clips might engage. Since I’ll likely break a clip (or two or three) when removing it the first time, it’d probably be beneficial to remove them all. But then I worry about the OEM cover part of the mix not sitting perfectly flush all the time. @jebinc, what has your experience been?

Reactions: jebinc
Mine was also one of the pre-orders and Marco let me know that mine’s on the way. Is breaking all the clips off part of the installation process? I know I have to use the cover that came with the car, but I’d imagine when pushing the bar into the hitch that the clips might engage. Since I’ll likely break a clip (or two or three) when removing it the first time, it’d probably be beneficial to remove them all. But then I worry about the OEM cover part of the mix not sitting perfectly flush all the time. @jebinc, what has your experience been?

Well, I took a different approach than Marco's instructions, only because I'm anal and have a mechanical engineering background.... Steps I took, include:

1) Just removed the tabs inside each clip, not the entire clip nor the four different tabs located to one side. (see pictures). I wanted perfect alignment and no rattles, although Marco says no rattles by removing everything (per his instructions).

2) Marco's instructions work for all VINs, due to the over-sized holes you drill in the OEM cover. For me, I didn't want that so I took the following steps;
a) Disassembled the unit (remove back anodized face plate), and reinsert plate screws, sans plate.
b) Install into the car's receiver (grease first)
c) Apply numbers putty on the back side of OEM plastic cover, after removing tabs noted in Step #1
d) Push OEM cover, with thin layer of putty on backside into place; this will cause the unit's face plate screws to make an impression in the putty for drilling.
e) Remove OEM cover, carefully, exposing screw head impressions in putty
f) Drill out mounting screw holes through impressions in putty (a size or two larger than screw diameter, and not the large hole size (per instructions)
g) Remove assembly from car and then assemble (loosely) with OEM cover and black anodized face plate
h) Install new assembly into car's receiver, then tighten down back anodized face plate screws

3) Sit back and enjoy your new accessory (this is an important step in the process; do not skip!)

@ScottNY @WilliamG @marcodant

IMG_0790.jpeg
IMG_0793.jpeg
IMG_0791.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Corndart
Received mine today, but without instructions. Anyone have instructions and maybe a template for where to drill holes in my OEM cover? Don’t want to experiment or use putty.
@ScottNY Being in NY, along with Marco, when is yours supposed to arrive, per the tracking number?
it already arrived. However, the instructions and template were missing. Work has been crazy and I haven’t had a chance to go out and pick up some putty to try installing the way you did. I’m off Friday and will do the installation then. I’ll post a photo once installed.