Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stitch-on steering wheel cover review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have installed a stitch-on leather cover on my '14 Model S's steering wheel. I did some digging beforehand, but I could not find much info. So here is my review, in case it helps others.

The steering wheel on my Model S was still in very good shape, but I always found it to be too shiny and slippery for my taste. Also, I am a bit OCD when it comes to protecting things. I had tried a stitch-on cover for an earlier car and I was rather happy with the result. That car had a regular round wheel, much simpler than the shape of the Model S', so I did not know how it was going to work here.

I found many covers online that were custom fit for the Model S, although all of them seem to essentially be the same Chinese product, just sold through different outlets. Prices varied rather significantly too. Without much direction, I decided to go with one that I found on eBay. I offered $33 for it, and the seller accepted it.

The seller did not have any reviews, so I was a bit wary. But the cover arrived in a couple of weeks, and it was pretty much as described. The material seems good for the price, and it came with all the tools to install it, including a thimble.

IMG_0111.jpeg

My main concern was fitting the cover under the trim of the steering wheel, and I was certain I was going to need to remove the airbag. In the end, it was not necessary. I loosened the socket head screws that keep the airbag in place, but I just used a couple of trim tools to lift the edges of the trim a bit and to push the cover underneath. The cover comes with one trim tool, but it is best to have a second one. You need one to lift the trim and another one to tuck in the leather at the same time.

The cover that I ordered came with double-sided tape, which you apply before stitching it. I have seen other covers that don't come with it. Using the tape is a bit of a mixed bag. It makes the stitching process a bit more tedious, but once all is finished, the tape makes the cover feel completely tight.

Regarding the stitching part, it just takes patience. Luckily, there is plenty of string in case you have to redo it, which happened to be my case (more on that later). But it is not terribly complicated. At first everything looks misshapen and it feels like it won't fit, but after a few stitches, things start falling into place. It is very important to carefully review the instructions and use the pattern that they show.

IMG_0113.jpeg

The hardest part is to make sure that the cover is tight. You have to adjust as you go, which is tricky because of the double-sided tape. Also, the cover fits rather well, except for the two bumps at the 10-2 positions. The leather (at least in the one I purchased) did not stretch enough to fully come around that thicker part of the bumps, it leaves a very slight gap. On my first go I tried too hard to tighten it and fully snapped the string, so I had to start all over again. Don't do that :)

Overall, the process took about 3 hours. Looking at the steering wheel from the front, it is hard to tell that there is a cover at all. The back is not as seamless, you can feel some bumps around the spokes. Still, it is not too bad. And overall, the wheel does feel a lot grippier, and I also like that it is a tad thicker. For the cost, I would say it is a good purchase.

IMG_0114.jpeg

I have installed a stitch-on leather cover on my '14 Model S's steering wheel. I did some digging beforehand, but I could not find much info. So here is my review, in case it helps others.

The steering wheel on my Model S was still in very good shape, but I always found it to be too shiny and slippery for my taste. Also, I am a bit OCD when it comes to protecting things. I had tried a stitch-on cover for an earlier car and I was rather happy with the result. That car had a regular round wheel, much simpler than the shape of the Model S', so I did not know how it was going to work here.

I found many covers online that were custom fit for the Model S, although all of them seem to essentially be the same Chinese product, just sold through different outlets. Prices varied rather significantly too. Without much direction, I decided to go with one that I found on eBay. I offered $33 for it, and the seller accepted it.

The seller did not have any reviews, so I was a bit wary. But the cover arrived in a couple of weeks, and it was pretty much as described. The material seems good for the price, and it came with all the tools to install it, including a thimble.

View attachment 986007

My main concern was fitting the cover under the trim of the steering wheel, and I was certain I was going to need to remove the airbag. In the end, it was not necessary. I loosened the socket head screws that keep the airbag in place, but I just used a couple of trim tools to lift the edges of the trim a bit and to push the cover underneath. The cover comes with one trim tool, but it is best to have a second one. You need one to lift the trim and another one to tuck in the leather at the same time.

The cover that I ordered came with double-sided tape, which you apply before stitching it. I have seen other covers that don't come with it. Using the tape is a bit of a mixed bag. It makes the stitching process a bit more tedious, but once all is finished, the tape makes the cover feel completely tight.

Regarding the stitching part, it just takes patience. Luckily, there is plenty of string in case you have to redo it, which happened to be my case (more on that later). But it is not terribly complicated. At first everything looks misshapen and it feels like it won't fit, but after a few stitches, things start falling into place. It is very important to carefully review the instructions and use the pattern that they show.

View attachment 986008

The hardest part is to make sure that the cover is tight. You have to adjust as you go, which is tricky because of the double-sided tape. Also, the cover fits rather well, except for the two bumps at the 10-2 positions. The leather (at least in the one I purchased) did not stretch enough to fully come around that thicker part of the bumps, it leaves a very slight gap. On my first go I tried too hard to tighten it and fully snapped the string, so I had to start all over again. Don't do that :)

Overall, the process took about 3 hours. Looking at the steering wheel from the front, it is hard to tell that there is a cover at all. The back is not as seamless, you can feel some bumps around the spokes. Still, it is not too bad. And overall, the wheel does feel a lot grippier, and I also like that it is a tad thicker. For the cost, I would say it is a good purchase.

View attachment 986009
Darn nice job!

Reactions: Vinc

View attachment 986007

View attachment 986008

View attachment 986009
Nicely done, wow! Factory-looking! Do you have any links for Plaid Yoke? 😉 Sorry just kidding 😁

Reactions: Vinc
That looks very OEM in the end, very nice. I just have a regular cover on my M3P but even though the particular style of it fits the interior amazingly it does not envelope the wheel nearly as completely as that stitch on one does and that just looks so nice. I will have to consider such an investment of time.
Thanks for the writeup.

Reactions: Vinc and easyev