Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Review: Unplugged Performance Moderate Springs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was elated when I ordered the @UnpluggedP Moderate (1.5" drop) springs. How could I not be? Close the gap, smooth out the bumps and lean into the corners?

Then I started reading the mixed reviews, some people loved them. Some hated them. Some bottomed out, some hit the bump stops.

I was clicks away from abandoning them and going with coilovers but decided to go for it.

I'm so glad I did. The stance of the car is now perfect. As my coworker told me, "it looks mean". Corners are amazing at both low and high speeds the car is flat. Previous poor turns in New England where the car used to wobble over, it just stays planted. On most roads, I feel the car has shaken off its jitters.

I have yet to bottom out (doesn't mean it's not coming), but my fear of constantly hitting the bump stops or scraping the car was overblown. Is the ride perfect? No. On really bad roads, you definitely feel that you're lower to the ground with less travel and less forgiveness. But that's no different than when I had an Audi S3.

The most surprising aspect? UP claims efficiency gains which I rolled my eyes at. Yet since I've had the springs installed I've consistently seen a 10-15% improvement in Wh/Mi at 40-70 mph. I will definitely take that.

IMG_1722.jpeg

Hey Bean, do you have the Performance model? - looks like you do from the wheels/calipers. I'm also looking to get my P3D a better stance (taking delivery 3/29) But looking at UP site, the Moderate version states "This option is for dual motor cars with non-Performance Upgrade Package suspension only" whereas the UP Super Performance says "This option is for dual motor cars with the Performance Upgrade Package suspension only". You had no issues with the Moderate? I wonder why UP site says that...

Hey Bean, do you have the Performance model? - looks like you do from the wheels/calipers. I'm also looking to get my P3D a better stance (taking delivery 3/29) But looking at UP site, the Moderate version states "This option is for dual motor cars with non-Performance Upgrade Package suspension only" whereas the UP Super Performance says "This option is for dual motor cars with the Performance Upgrade Package suspension only". You had no issues with the Moderate? I wonder why UP site says that...

LR RWD, my calipers are actually orange. Had them painted to when I got the wheels powdercoated. I actually chose orange to that it didn't look like I was just trying to have a performance model :)

IMG_1327.jpg

I'm not positive as i don't have the lowering springs myself, but i heard that Unplugged changed the design since some of the early versions and they've solved the noise problem that some early adopters had.

I was elated when I ordered the @UnpluggedP Moderate (1.5" drop) springs. How could I not be? Close the gap, smooth out the bumps and lean into the corners?

Then I started reading the mixed reviews, some people loved them. Some hated them. Some bottomed out, some hit the bump stops.

I was clicks away from abandoning them and going with coilovers but decided to go for it.

I'm so glad I did. The stance of the car is now perfect. As my coworker told me, "it looks mean". Corners are amazing at both low and high speeds the car is flat. Previous poor turns in New England where the car used to wobble over, it just stays planted. On most roads, I feel the car has shaken off its jitters.

I have yet to bottom out (doesn't mean it's not coming), but my fear of constantly hitting the bump stops or scraping the car was overblown. Is the ride perfect? No. On really bad roads, you definitely feel that you're lower to the ground with less travel and less forgiveness. But that's no different than when I had an Audi S3.

The most surprising aspect? UP claims efficiency gains which I rolled my eyes at. Yet since I've had the springs installed I've consistently seen a 10-15% improvement in Wh/Mi at 40-70 mph. I will definitely take that.

View attachment 388426
Is the new spring actually feel less bumpy than the stock spring? They keep claiming that on their website.

Did you do a clear coat on top of the Evo Grey? How do you think it compares to the stock Sonic Carbon wheel color Tesla offers?

I believe they cut some clear into it but did not do a two-stage, because the two-stage was going to be too light. I would say it's a shade lighter than Sonic Carbon but I dig it.

Since the spring costs like 400 dollars. That means 400+300+125 = 825 total ?

Yes.

Is the new spring actually feel less bumpy than the stock spring? They keep claiming that on their website.

For the most part. I'd say on average roads, yes far less bumpy. On shitty roads, all bets are off!

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
I'm not positive as i don't have the lowering springs myself, but i heard that Unplugged changed the design since some of the early versions and they've solved the noise problem that some early adopters had.
@UnpluggedP can you comment on whether this is true, and if so what were the changed made compared to the original moderates? I also read something about a change being made so that the rear doesn't look like it hangs quite as low?