Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RGV (south texas) Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All!

Just ordered my Tesla last week (model 3, LR midnight silver, black interior) and hoping to get it before the end of the month. I am located in the RGV (The valley) anyone else from this area? How is your experience with your Tesla and charging? Do you have/plan to get at home charging?

I don't plan to get home charging because I am only staying her for 5 months and plan to move to San Antonio where there are a-lot more options for charging.

D

I’m not from Texas, but you have a Supercharger in McAllen. Check PlugShare for other charging options near you too. And for your short stay in Edinburg, you might do just fine plugging into your 120V outlet and charging slowly; often good enough for commuters.

Welcome to the family!

Hey All!

Just ordered my Tesla last week (model 3, LR midnight silver, black interior) and hoping to get it before the end of the month. I am located in the RGV (The valley) anyone else from this area? How is your experience with your Tesla and charging? Do you have/plan to get at home charging?

I don't plan to get home charging because I am only staying her for 5 months and plan to move to San Antonio where there are a-lot more options for charging.

D
I spend a good deal of time down in the valley because my daughter, son in law, and granddaughters live down there. From Austin we always take our 3 because of the convenient Supercharger located at the Loves in Three Rivers. That station is about 150 miles from Austin and about 165 miles from our destination in McAllen. Somehow our energy usage is always greater going between Three Rivers and McAllen - must be the winds (or maybe our average speed).

Now the Supercharger at the McAllen convention center is just that, a super location. Loads of stores and places to eat while charging as well as a memorial park all within easy walking distance.

Since you will be in he valley for awhile you might inquire if there is a local Tesla group (Facebook, Google, Nextdoor) and the San Antonio and Central Texas groups could be the place to ask about that. Of course someone on this forum might also know if there is one.

Hey, you might try and get a dryer buddy (and an adapter from Tesla) and use that for charging until you move to San Antonio. That will enable you to charge much quicker than a standard 115V outlet. Good luck.

Hey All!

D

The question is how much driving are you going to do daily. A standard 120V plug may be more than adequate for your needs. To determine what your needs are, you need to let folks know what your specific needs are. For my driving requirement for 2 EVs, 120V suits me quite well.

Actually Edinburg should be easier for charging a Tesla than San Antonio unless you plan on living in NW San Antonio. In Edinburg the SC in McAllen is just a short drive and there are free destination chargers over at Pieology and at a couple of businesses in McAllen. The longest trip in the area you'd probably take is to South Padre Island, which just got its own tiny SC.

If you're driving up to SA/Austin you should be fine getting to Three Rivers in a LR if you charge up to 90-95% the night before, I made it from Harlingen to Three Rivers many times in an SR+ and only had to stop in Kingsville a couple of times. Worst case scenario you'd have to detour through Kingsville if the weather is exceptionally bad or you couldn't charge up enough for whatever reason.

What the area really needs is better infrastructure for non-Tesla EVs but that's another matter.