Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rich Rebuilds: "Tesla Hacker Shares Major Issue"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure...definition 6a and 6c: Definition of HACK
If you have to get clear down to 6a and 6c to find something even remotely close... that's not what the word means. 6a talks about computers specifically. I don't know if you're aware of this but cars are not computers. 6c doesn't apply because simply trying to return something to working order from a state of not working isn't an improvement over original design.

The desire for people these days to inject hyperbole into every little thing is obnoxious and smacks of poor grasp of the English language. Nothing here was hacked. He fixed a broken car but that doesn't quite grab the readers attention and drive clicks, does it?

I didn't watch, but based on the Reddit thread, this is the longstanding MCU logging issue, correct? We have lots of threads on it here.

It is good to publicize it more. I am betting MCUs are pushing 100% failure rate with this plus the screen bubbles plus the yellowing issues.

I didn't watch, but based on the Reddit thread, this is the longstanding MCU logging issue, correct? We have lots of threads on it here.

It is good to publicize it more. I am betting MCUs are pushing 100% failure rate with this plus the screen bubbles plus the yellowing issues.
Looks like we also have a thread here: MCU fails for the second time

100% failure rate on the S/X? Wonder when the Model 3 have the same logging issues.

Last edited:
... but cars are not computers.

Nothing here was hacked.

Ok genius, explain to all of us how he gained access and enabled diagnostics in the MCU (which is a computer, by the way)? Is it an open system? Do we all have the same access? Why would anyone need to send the MCU to him to gain access, if he did not have to "hack" into it in order to enable the remote diagnostics?

Please, educate all of us.

I would think Tesla could push out an update to change this logging.

So what's the major issue again?

The newer high capacity chip in MCU2 and Model 3 might be fine.
Only other issue mentioned is limiting assess to diagnostics in Model 3 which limits salvage value which could eventually raise insurance cost due to less value when auctioning off totaled cars. I would think most totaled cars have value for parts not putting them back on the road.

Waiting for the TLDW version
Not a fan of having to watch a who knows how long video to get the info that with such a click bait title is likely to be ho-hum in the end.
How about a thread on the video: Rich Rebuilds / Ingineerix highlight mcu flaw : teslamotors . Link for the TLDW skip to flaw is in the reddit thread.

In short, MCUs will fail due to an excessive MCU logging issue that burns out the built in emmc chip. Also, they are putting the Model 3's guts into a Sprinter Van.