Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Right amount of tint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never had my windows tinted before but am seriously thinking of doing that once I take delivery tomorrow.

I have fairly sensitive eyes, especially driving down a dark mountain late at night and suddenly blinded by an incoming car. So trying to tint not only for privacy, looks and cooling of car but for safety and my eyes. What a good % of tint that blocks out some light, but is still easy to see out of especially at night ? And do you tint differently for back passenger windows compared to front driver ? And can you even tint windshield in LA and would I want to? (again don't want to lose any vision especially at night)

Thanks for any help!

Sunglasses. Seriously. You're probably going to be wearing them when you get out the car anyway in daylight and at nighttime there's no interference whatsoever.

I only put that justification in so it didn't sound like I was being snarky :) As a migraine sufferer, triggered by amongst other things flashing bright lights, I wear shades all the time when I'm driving in the day. Works in any car and won't trigger the local law enforcement officers.

Tint laws for CA:

Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side windows: Aftermarket film must allow more than 88% of light in, or minimum 70% VLT if combined with factory-tinted windows.
Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

With that being said, I got 50% for the front side windows and 40% for the rear sides and rear window (1 sheet). I did not get my windshield tinted though I may consider 70% in the future as it is still clear.

If you get a different tint % for the front and back, I would suggest getting the %s as close as possible so that the shade looks the same.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeR55 and RobRain
id recommend getting night glasses for driving and not tinting your windshield. I know lots of people on this forum have tinted their windshield but I think the negatives far outweigh the benefits, ie visibility issues since you have sensitive eyes - but thats for you to decide

as for tint, id go ceramic. Ceramic tint appears visually lighter than youd expect. I would recommend about 20-25% for ceramic as 30% and higher looks pretty light. Youll see lots of folks saying they wished they went darker and most of them are at about 30% ceramic.

I went 20% ceramic and sometimes it still feels too light with the white interior. The car is noticeably cooler while driving and even when parked.

Front roof sunshade is nice addition too

Reactions: RobRain
40% all the way around is a great shade. Not too dark but still looks great. Cops usually wont hassle you. Good night visibility too.

50% is too light IMO and 30% could give you problems with the law and night visibility.

As far as heat rejection, the film matters more than the shade. Get a nice, nano ceramic film and you'll be good.

70% or higher for windshield.

hope this helps.

Officially you can't tint your windshield in CA except the top 4 inches as posted above. However my sister had 70% put on her windshield and it looks virtually the same as before. I also did 70% on my windshield but I don't get it back until Wednesday (Squee!) so I can't show you any before/after pics until then.

So 60% blocks light- but easy to see out of and into as well- so no privacy but keeps the car cool during the day. What % gives some privacy but not totally black?

The % on tint is the amount of light let through. So 60% let's 60% of light through, blocking 40%. The thing with tint is privacy is very dependent on the type of light you are in. In some scenarios 50% would look pretty private but in most it would not. 40% is probably what you are after if you want some privacy and still legal.

• Informative
Reactions: Hypeman123
The % on tint is the amount of light let through. So 60% let's 60% of light through, blocking 40%. The thing with tint is privacy is very dependent on the type of light you are in. In some scenarios 50% would look pretty private but in most it would not. 40% is probably what you are after if you want some privacy and still legal.

Agree. That's why I went with 50% and 40%. I also thought it would be a good balance between privacy and getting stopped by the cops for my front side window tint.

The tint I used was 3M Crystalline.

I've never had my windows tinted before but am seriously thinking of doing that once I take delivery tomorrow.

I have fairly sensitive eyes, especially driving down a dark mountain late at night and suddenly blinded by an incoming car. So trying to tint not only for privacy, looks and cooling of car but for safety and my eyes. What a good % of tint that blocks out some light, but is still easy to see out of especially at night ? And do you tint differently for back passenger windows compared to front driver ? And can you even tint windshield in LA and would I want to? (again don't want to lose any vision especially at night)

Thanks for any help!
I vote no tint. I like being able to see out of my car at night and I don't think anyone would claim that tinting helps with that. I wear tint on my eyes during the day and take it off at night :p

I vote no tint. I like being able to see out of my car at night and I don't think anyone would claim that tinting helps with that. I wear tint on my eyes during the day and take it off at night :p

Right but I'm also getting tint because I live in an area where the sun is out 365 days a year. And I am really, really tired of it. However I don't want my car to feel darker or cavernous. Like I said I've never had tint in a car, I think it does look really great with a white car as it had some contrast, but essentially I'm getting it to keep the car cool, also keep the car cooler during the day, as well as more protected from the sun inside the car

Right but I'm also getting tint because I live in an area where the sun is out 365 days a year. And I am really, really tired of it. However I don't want my car to feel darker or cavernous. Like I said I've never had tint in a car, I think it does look really great with a white car as it had some contrast, but essentially I'm getting it to keep the car cool, also keep the car cooler during the day, as well as more protected from the sun inside the car
I live in San Diego and I still vote no tint. :p I had a tinted car before and I didn't like the decreased visibility. I love the bright and airy feeling of the white interior. The glass should block most UV light already but I think there are very light tints that give more protection. Anyway, it's all personal preference. Can't really see anything out of the back window of a Model 3 anyway so probably not much loss there.

Reactions: MikeR55
I live in San Diego and I still vote no tint. :p I had a tinted car before and I didn't like the decreased visibility. I love the bright and airy feeling of the white interior. The glass should block most UV light already but I think there are very light tints that give more protection. Anyway, it's all personal preference. Can't really see anything out of the back window of a Model 3 anyway so probably not much loss there.

Thanks, yeah I've never been in a car with a tint, so good to hear from those who are afflicted by 24/7 Sunshine like we are in LA. I guess I need to find somebody that has one that really see what the visibility is. I did get the black interior, so obviously that will change things a little bit from the white interior. But I certainly don't want it to feel cavernous or too dark. Really what I was hoping was for very similar visibility, but with some protection, and slightly more privacy.

Last edited:

Thanks for any help!
Get the darkest legal ceramic tint all around, including windshield.