Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting in Maryland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased our Model Y LR in January this year. I'm looking to get the front driver and passenger windows tinted as well as possible the windshield.

What percentage are the back windows tinted on the Model Y? Does it vary by state? I was reading in some other posts that it is 20 percent.

My thought would be to match the tint on the rear and not do anything additional with the rear. since that was done at the factory...

For the windshield, would you say it's recommended to have that tinted too? I' was reading in some other posts that others have had a gradual tint on the windshield from the top down. I'm not really sure about the windshield and what's the best way to go about tinting it.

My main reason for tinting would be to keep the cabin cooler and to cut down on glare when driving and also for some additional security.

Thanks in advance for any assistance...

I purchased our Model Y LR in January this year. I'm looking to get the front driver and passenger windows tinted as well as possible the windshield.

What percentage are the back windows tinted on the Model Y? Does it vary by state? I was reading in some other posts that it is 20 percent.

My thought would be to match the tint on the rear and not do anything additional with the rear. since that was done at the factory...

For the windshield, would you say it's recommended to have that tinted too? I' was reading in some other posts that others have had a gradual tint on the windshield from the top down. I'm not really sure about the windshield and what's the best way to go about tinting it.

My main reason for tinting would be to keep the cabin cooler and to cut down on glare when driving and also for some additional security.

Thanks in advance for any assistance...
I drive a lot, as I get older the Dermatologist always freezes spots the left side of my face and left arm. For me, UV was most important. I tinted everything but the top which has great UV and heat rejection.

I tented my Y two weeks ago and talked about it here. Anyone tinted the glass roof, results?

I drive a lot, as I get older the Dermatologist always freezes spots the left side of my face and left arm. For me, UV was most important. I tinted everything but the top which has great UV and heat rejection.

I tented my Y two weeks ago and talked about it here. Anyone tinted the glass roof, results?
Thanks for your reply. Where are you located? When did you purchase your Y? Do you know the percentages you tinted?

In Maryland anything below 35% is considered too dark. With that said many folks have gone with 20% and not had any issues. 20% seem to match the rears the best. 100% legal is usually a 40% tint. If you go with 20 just keep in mind that police can give you a hard time if they decide to check light transmittance.

I believe you can't tint the windshield at all in MD but you can still put on a film with UV blocking. I did the two front windows and a 6" visor strip across the top of the windshield.

Reactions: fsb1
In Maryland anything below 35% is considered too dark. With that said many folks have gone with 20% and not had any issues. 20% seem to match the rears the best. 100% legal is usually a 40% tint. If you go with 20 just keep in mind that police can give you a hard time if they decide to check light transmittance.

I believe you can't tint the windshield at all in MD but you can still put on a film with UV blocking. I did the two front windows and a 6" visor strip across the top of the windshield.
Thanks for your reply. I see. So the back two windows on the Model Y come with a factory tint of approximately 20%? In your opinion, do you think 20% would be too dark? I'm mainly concerned about night time, looking out the side mirrors, etc?

Also, since the legal limit in Maryland is 35%, would it be difficult to find a good place to get 20% done since it is not necessarily legal? (Would a more reputable shop just do 35% tints?).

I'm not sure what the factory tint is on the back two windows. When I had mine done the shop matched it with their film and said 20% was best match. 20% is dark at night....if you drive in rural areas or areas without street lighting frequently you may want to go lighter. No shops will do 20% with no issue they will just not be responsible if you get a ticket.

It really depends on what your looking for in tinting it. Are you looking for privacy or just UV blocking? I like privacy and have issues with light sensitivity so I care more about a darker tint than blocking UV.

If your primarily looking to block UV and you do a lot of night driving in low light go with a good quality film that is lighter...maybe 50%. I can tell you that 50% is a good balance but it won't give as much privacy.

You cannot tint the Windshield below the AS-1 line.
Hi. Not sure what you mean. What is the AS-1 line?

From what I'm reading in other posts and Google searches, it seems that the 2023 MYLR would roughly have 20% tint on the rear windows and 24% on the back hatch.

It appears to be recommended to tint the front windshield anywhere from 55%-70%. What would everyone recommend for the front windows and windshield?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Hi. Not sure what you mean. What is the AS-1 line?

From what I'm reading in other posts and Google searches, it seems that the 2023 MYLR would roughly have 20% tint on the rear windows and 24% on the back hatch.

It appears to be recommended to tint the front windshield anywhere from 55%-70%. What would everyone recommend for the front windows and windshield?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
As1 is the line across the top of windshield. It's usually 5 or 6" from the top.

So, I went to one shop that I researched and had good reviews for tinting and they only use SunTek. It seems that SunTek is a "mid-range" product? After researching a little bit, it seems that XPel or 3M would be the best in ceramic? Should I find a place that would do one of those two products? Or, is crystalline considered to be a lot better than ceramic?

The shop I went to also said that while you are not supposed to tint the front windshield, they recommended 50 or 60 percent or higher on the tint.

In addition to the front windshield, should I consider tinting the sunroof? It seems that the sunroof glass gets extremely hot during the day (90s).

Thanks.

I've been researching this more and it seems that the best product to go with is Xpel Prime XR plus. I'm thinking of doing 20% on the fronts and 50%-60% on the windshield. I really need to cool the cabin down as best I can. Not sure why it's so hot, probably because of the black interior?

I'm going to a place called All American Paint Protection in Maryland today. They use Xpel Prime XR Plus.

I'm thinking about doing 15% on the four windows and hatch and 45% on the windshield (possibly 55%). My main concern is getting ticketed.

I just received a ticket for no front plate because the car was parked in a street cleaning zone and we went over by 5 minutes. That brought attention to the car and we received the additional no front plate ticket.

Do you think there's a good chance that a midnight silver Model Y will get ticket for the above proposed tinting?

Thanks.

I'm going to a place called All American Paint Protection in Maryland today. They use Xpel Prime XR Plus.

I'm thinking about doing 15% on the four windows and hatch and 45% on the windshield (possibly 55%). My main concern is getting ticketed.

I just received a ticket for no front plate because the car was parked in a street cleaning zone and we went over by 5 minutes. That brought attention to the car and we received the additional no front plate ticket.

Do you think there's a good chance that a midnight silver Model Y will get ticket for the above proposed tinting?

Thanks.
I'm also in Maryland. Can I ask how much this cost you?

Did you end up getting the roof tinted, too?