Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Right Pillar Camera Blocked or Blinded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello:

I have a model 3 2019 SR+ and after the new update I was experiencing this same issue. I believe I may have found the cause. With the new software update, it doesn't appear the car is automatically overwriting videos on the USB stick if you have one plugged in for recording the cameras, because it is not overwriting the videos when it gets full, the cameras appear to have this issue with the USB stick is getting or is full. Try taking the USB stick out, plugging into computer and deleting just the videos that are saved (NOT the folders or other files, just the videos), then plug the USB stick back in and see if that works. Also you can just try unplugging the USB stick, that did the trick for me. Just have to pay attention to that storage until the release a fix for this issue.

Hope this helps.

I've been having this problem in my Model S and Tesla told me that essentially through the updates the software has gotten better at recognizing bits of dust and whatever over the cameras and displays this message hence seeing it more frequently. My car right now is waiting to download 2019.40.2.1... hope it doesn't get worse. I also just got that message for my front camera for the first time today and I'm surprised I don't get the message for my back camera as I live in Portland Oregon where it's rainy all the time and so my back camera is constantly obstructed by wet muck from driving... Makes it worthless as a backup camera at times.

I can't wait for level 5 FSD and these cars end up pulling off to the side of the road with flashers on because the cameras are dirty.
Are they going to adopt the scooter service model like Lime and Bird and have people driving around to clean cameras etc? I still think this is the one true weak spot with their robo-taxi strategy. I really hope they improve the dirty camera situation.

I keep a bag of microfiber cloths in my trunk and wipe off the sides and rear cameras any time I drive more than 5 miles.
Dirty cameras or glare cause problems but both together are horrible. White seats are easy to keep clean... the cameras are not.

Hello:

I have a model 3 2019 SR+ and after the new update I was experiencing this same issue. I believe I may have found the cause. With the new software update, it doesn't appear the car is automatically overwriting videos on the USB stick if you have one plugged in for recording the cameras, because it is not overwriting the videos when it gets full, the cameras appear to have this issue with the USB stick is getting or is full. Try taking the USB stick out, plugging into computer and deleting just the videos that are saved (NOT the folders or other files, just the videos), then plug the USB stick back in and see if that works. Also you can just try unplugging the USB stick, that did the trick for me. Just have to pay attention to that storage until the release a fix for this issue.

Hope this helps.

I don't have sentry mode on so no USB stick also - still have it but only when it's wet or the sun is shining directly in the camera

The last couple updates have enabled these alerts of which they had previously been disabled. After hearing about this From a service tech I started paying more attention to when I get these camera alerts. Almost all the time it’s been at night and been when a truck (which is a bit more elevated that a car) is passing me in either side. Their headlights temporarily blind the camera and a couple seconds after the pass the alert clears.

thisbhas been happening to all of us - we’ve just not had visibility into it causing camera issues until now.

I have been investigating the same issue with my RHD M3LR, therefore it is {mostly} left hand B pillar camera for me.
Essentially, in the dark, it seems the camera cannot see anything, so it says that there is a problem.
Tesla looked a the logs and replaced both cameras - no change! Shame it was 3 months out of my life, trying to explain to people "no, that's not an error", and "they're on to it remotely, they know what they are..."
When there is no car behind you casting light up the side, no street lights and an inadequate moon/cloud base for Tesla, you are totally reliant on your headlamp alignment, or someone shinning a torch!
If you have an M3 kicked through the factory faster than you could ever drive it (or in my case, the paint could dry/cure), then you may have a headlamp alignment issue - like me (and a few others). BUT, sorting this is easier (and maybe months quicker) than using the app - it will definitely stop oncoming vehicles flashing you (even when it has actually dipped). Again, BUT, it improves the situation only, it is not cured. I have tried several legal (how it was delivered was not legal) alignments in the last two weeks and it is better but still happens especially if the left hand road boarder is high - because the headlamp throw is further forward.
At the end of the day, I am primarily a physicist and now an IT consultant - this is very simple stuff.

No image is a problem, fault it. Simple - but only if you haven't allowed a normal situation to create a fault situation - pathetic!

Seriously Tesla, was this only tested in good conditions?

I have received these messages as well. Condensation a couple times and lately the sun was blinding the left pillar camera for a few miles. I was telling the camera that it needs to squint when looking directly at the sun but it’s wouldn’t listen to me. ;) The messages eventually disappear.

I have been investigating the same issue with my RHD M3LR, therefore it is {mostly} left hand B pillar camera for me.
Essentially, in the dark, it seems the camera cannot see anything, so it says that there is a problem.
Tesla looked a the logs and replaced both cameras - no change! Shame it was 3 months out of my life, trying to explain to people "no, that's not an error", and "they're on to it remotely, they know what they are..."
When there is no car behind you casting light up the side, no street lights and an inadequate moon/cloud base for Tesla, you are totally reliant on your headlamp alignment, or someone shinning a torch!
If you have an M3 kicked through the factory faster than you could ever drive it (or in my case, the paint could dry/cure), then you may have a headlamp alignment issue - like me (and a few others). BUT, sorting this is easier (and maybe months quicker) than using the app - it will definitely stop oncoming vehicles flashing you (even when it has actually dipped). Again, BUT, it improves the situation only, it is not cured. I have tried several legal (how it was delivered was not legal) alignments in the last two weeks and it is better but still happens especially if the left hand road boarder is high - because the headlamp throw is further forward.
At the end of the day, I am primarily a physicist and now an IT consultant - this is very simple stuff.

No image is a problem, fault it. Simple - but only if you haven't allowed a normal situation to create a fault situation - pathetic!

Seriously Tesla, was this only tested in good conditions?

I've heard Elon criticize LIDAR but wouldn't radar be a necessary redundancy when visibility is zero?