Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Right Pillar Camera Blocked or Blinded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

So I observed this on my car and wonder if there's anything to it or not. Video is vertical but that's the best way I could capture it due to the camera light needed to see the patterns. I show the right B pillar followed by the left B pillar.

The right B pillar (which has the issue to me) looks like it is sandblasted or something. In the video you can see the "rings" and such on the outer surface.

The left B pillar on the other hand looks perfectly clear and does not have the same look to it.

I don't know why they would look so different. Feels like the right B pillar glass was installed reversed or wrongly, like there's some anti-fog coating (but it being on the outside instead of the inside).

If this was caused by road conditions then all of my right side should be all scratched up but its not.

So I observed this on my car and wonder if there's anything to it or not. Video is vertical but that's the best way I could capture it due to the camera light needed to see the patterns. I show the right B pillar followed by the left B pillar.

The right B pillar (which has the issue to me) looks like it is sandblasted or something. In the video you can see the "rings" and such on the outer surface.

The left B pillar on the other hand looks perfectly clear and does not have the same look to it.

I don't know why they would look so different. Feels like the right B pillar glass was installed reversed or wrongly, like there's some anti-fog coating (but it being on the outside instead of the inside).

If this was caused by road conditions then all of my right side should be all scratched up but its not.

Someone reported that a protective film had not been removed ... could you still have plastic that needs to be peeled off?

Someone reported that a protective film had not been removed ... could you still have plastic that needs to be peeled off?

Wow I did not know that! Taking it off.

15824030146774462547189460123697.jpg

probably won't help with the fog but should reduce the messages as it probably messed with the reflection and the sun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adopado
I have a Model 3 with HW3 using 2020.4.1 and it still happens when the sun is low in the sky as in winter.
I had to try to fix this annoying issue so I did what we do when it's bright outside.
I may have solved this problem by simply putting "sun glasses" on the pillar cameras!
As far as I can tell the fix seems to be very simple. I put a colored filter over the camera.
I've tried it several times in the bright sun and at night with no complaints from the car (and myself).
Removing the filter made the camera blind again.
A video has been posted showing what I did for testing and evaluation purposes.
I'm still testing with other colors and conditions.

I've been getting this message after I download 2019.40.21. It appears for about minute or less then disappears. It happens on a sunny day as well as late at night. It recommends that I clean the camera which I did but see nothing blocking the view.
This happened to me a few times 3-4 months ago. Can't recall which software I was on, but it also occurred on a sunny day, but not at night. It would disappear after a few minutes on its own and hasn't occurred since. Perhaps try a soft reboot.

I put a colored filter over the camera.
I've tried it several times in the bright sun and at night with no complaints from the car (and myself).
Removing the filter made the camera blind again.
I'm still testing with other colors and conditions.
Try a neutral gray polarizing filter. Hold it in front of your eye to find the best orientation, then put it over the camera lens in that orientation.

Just had my first blinded camera this afternoon. M3 LR '21 (Chinese Factory). Clear conditions. Overcast, no rain. Warning randomly occurred while travelling under an underpass. 10min to self-clear.

Attachments

• 20211015_172704.jpg
    20211015_172704.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 83