Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Right Scroll Button Not Responding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I took my car in for inspection, and when it came time to check the odometer… we were unable. The dash display was set for energy, and attempts to change it using the right scroll button were futile. In fact, the car is no longer responding to the right scroll button at all. Pressing it doesn't toggle the climate control, turning it doesn't change the temperature, holding it down doesn't bring up the choice of displays. It seems totally dead.

So, I tried restarting the MCU by holding down both scroll buttons. This worked, in the sense that the MCU did in fact restart. (Meaning, I guess, that the scroll button hardware must be intact?) Afterwards, though, no improvement. Right scroll button still not working.

Last night I ran the software update to v10.2 (2021.4.11). Is this a firmware problem?

Have had all 4 buttons and both scroll wheels become inop 4 times now in my 2017 (Feb build) S P100D. Had the upgrade done to MCU2 and HDW 3 last July so it is not a failing MCU issue. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with Firmware downloads either.
Occured on: 10 Dec 2019; 17 July 2020; 25 Feb 2021 and now again 01April 2021. The scrolls,buttons and harness have all been
replaced in two of those repairs at the SC. They replaced the actual steering wheel control module (containing the stalks too) at the SC in the other repair.
They have not attempted to troubled shoot why it has failed again after only 5 weeks since the 25 Feb 21 repair. The worst part of it is that my horn is inop when these things fail. The horn does work when using the APP and I can still control music volume from the lower right hand corner of the MCU.
My turn signal, steering wheel adjust and auto-pilot stalks all keep working during these events. My car is out of warranty now.
Any ideas from someone who has had this intermittent issue permanently repaired and how you repaired it would be greatly appreciated.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Have had all 4 buttons and both scroll wheels become inop 4 times now in my 2017 (Feb build) S P100D. Had the upgrade done to MCU2 and HDW 3 last July so it is not a failing MCU issue. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with Firmware downloads either.
Occured on: 10 Dec 2019; 17 July 2020; 25 Feb 2021 and now again 01April 2021. The scrolls,buttons and harness have all been
replaced in two of those repairs at the SC. They replaced the actual steering wheel control module (containing the stalks too) at the SC in the other repair.
They have not attempted to troubled shoot why it has failed again after only 5 weeks since the 25 Feb 21 repair. The worst part of it is that my horn is inop when these things fail. The horn does work when using the APP and I can still control music volume from the lower right hand corner of the MCU.
My turn signal, steering wheel adjust and auto-pilot stalks all keep working during these events. My car is out of warranty now.
Any ideas from someone who has had this intermittent issue permanently repaired and how you repaired it would be greatly appreciated.
Im on my 4th set too!!! plus one steering column stalk (may have been misdiagnosis on that one tho)

Update on 23April21: today the switches failed for the third time, less than 4 weeks after the most recent repair. Exactly the same pattern as before: without warning, all 3 switches become unresponsive, and I can reboot the system by pressing just the left button. Sigh. I decided to take it to the local SC instead of having a Ranger come to the house, because I want some higher-level tech examine the steering wheel assembly and check voltages to see why the same part has failed 3 times.