Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rim hitting rubbing suspension arm knuckle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rotated my wheels on the 2017 X with 13k miles!!! Square 20”setup. Just front to back and back to front. Jack mode used. Now the front passenger rim is hitting the curved silver suspension area when the wheel is cut. Why is this happening now? Did I throw the alignment off when one side of the car was jacked up? I rotate wheels and changes wheels on all our cars. Haven’t had this happen before.
(Internet photo for reference)
CBE523E7-22F2-47C4-A3D0-CC538CD88A6E.jpeg

Are your rims all 20x9? Ie did you get front rims for the back. Stock the fronts are 20x9 and rear are 20x9.5. That .5” makes a difference and if you put a 9.5” rim up front it rubs.

Thanks!
@EbS-P ooooo whaaat
Confirmed, it is a 20x9.5 that I swapped to the front. I thought if you have the slipstreams it is a square (matching) setup like the S! Doh! The driver side does not hit though….

Darn this stinks.

Probably not advised but if I can the smallest spacers to save me from getting more wheels that would be preferable. Has anyone done that?

Last edited:
Thanks!
@EbS-P ooooo whaaat
Confirmed, it is a 20x9.5 that I swapped to the front. I thought if you have the slipstreams it is a square (matching) setup like the S! Doh! The driver side does not hit though….

Darn this stinks.

Probably not advised but if I can the smallest spacers to save me from getting more wheels that would be preferable. Has anyone done that?
I’m sure it’s been done. Search the forum. 5mm is what I recall but don’t hold me to it.

I bought a 4 count on eBay for $20. 5mm Cleared. Diameter could be bigger but it shouuuuld be okay, fingers crossed
This isn’t my preference. I will try to go 20x9.0 all around and use 275 tires and not use spacers. I made sure I used anti seize!
0C0E5BC1-BB31-498E-8B76-EBFF2B22C73C.jpeg