Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rim Protection - Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have seen old posts here in the forum but most of info was outdated.

I personally experienced kerb damage twice already and noticed many others owners having same issue. Some going for repairing and repainting but this happens again due to extra width of car and sometime facing blind spots at car park entrance especially.

Any suggestions how to protect rims from these kerb damages?

There was an old post regarding alloygator or some suggested rim blades.

Any experience and if those are really useful and can help minimize the damage and protect rims.

Protectors may minimize the damage and make your repair job cheaper but that's about it.
Even with the protectors, if you hit a curb the wheel WILL scratch

Being extra careful around curbs (especially around the barriers to car parking lots) is the only way to prevent wheel damage.
Either that or 19" wheels might have a lower chance of damage.

Reactions: mkq786
Protectors may minimize the damage and make your repair job cheaper but that's about it.
Even with the protectors, if you hit a curb the wheel WILL scratch

Being extra careful around curbs (especially around the barriers to car parking lots) is the only way to prevent wheel damage.
Either that or 19" wheels might have a lower chance of damage.

Thanks, agree with u. I really got a big scratch and don't want to keep spending on wheel repair. Surely have to be more careful but as a precaution i was thinking to add it so it may minimize in case such incident happens again in future.

Any suggestion where i can find it in HKG?

got some black rim rubber rim protectors on taobao for around HKD60. They cover up the scratches well. Had the expensive HKD800 rimblades from US initially. Did jack to protect my rims. Scratched my rims a couple times a week when I first took delivery of S. Now gotten used to it and the X. Conclusion - use the cheapo taobao rubber rim protectors to cover up. Nothing, even titanium rim protectors will protect your rims being scratched by the movement of your 2 tonne car.

got some black rim rubber rim protectors on taobao for around HKD60. They cover up the scratches well. Had the expensive HKD800 rimblades from US initially. Did jack to protect my rims. Scratched my rims a couple times a week when I first took delivery of S. Now gotten used to it and the X. Conclusion - use the cheapo taobao rubber rim protectors to cover up. Nothing, even titanium rim protectors will protect your rims being scratched by the movement of your 2 tonne car.

Yes, you are right. First time it happened, i was pissed and got all repainted black as i always wanted black wheels. This time i m bit relaxed but taobao idea is good if it can be done on DIY bss. Will check it out.

Actually rim guards can cover up the damage on rims. So negating having to repair the rim itself if it is a surface scratch. I know you are in Hong Kong, but EVAnnex in Florida US will ship them internationally. I also have seen on-line Alligators in Denmark. Some ideas. I have the EVAnnex solution and believe they are a great investment!

Actually rim guards can cover up the damage on rims. So negating having to repair the rim itself if it is a surface scratch. I know you are in Hong Kong, but EVAnnex in Florida US will ship them internationally. I also have seen on-line Alligators in Denmark. Some ideas. I have the EVAnnex solution and believe they are a great investment!

Did you install the Evannex solution yourself? Was it easy to do?

Did you install the Evannex solution yourself? Was it easy to do?

I installed these on an S. There's a little bit of a learning "curve" (mind the pun) involved as the materials naturally want to curve.
You will need a pair of cutting pliers for this job.

Make sure the properly clean the edge before hand and best to keep away from water for a day or two after installation.
4 wheels will need about 45-60min done by 1 person.

Yeh evannex were the hkd800 ones I got from the us when my s arrived. Did jack to protect but does a good job covering up. But so do the hkd60 taobao ones...

The EVAnnex rim guards are easy to install. Although, as mentioned, it takes some finesse to curve them easily. Although once you pop in the guard into the channel, it smooths out. The older version had a stickier adhesive which was a pain to clean off with rubbing alcohol if you needed to replace damaged channels. The latest version cleans up better and performs the same. They do offer some protection for scuffs and will cover up damaged areas. Note the color options if you want to go the accent route.
I did see discussion on Alloy gators. They seem to be more robust, but have no experience with them.