Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RIP FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I understood Elon correctly in the conference call last night, FSD has simply been removed from the site and it can still be added with a phone call. This was done solely because it was causing confusion among new purchasers, who were getting confused between FSD and EAP. He said there's no reason to order it now versus waiting until the computer is available in Q1 but if anyone wants to order it, it just requires a phone call.

Edit: I misunderstood the second point. See later in the thread.

Last edited:
If I understood Elon correctly in the conference call last night, FSD has simply been removed from the site and it can still be added with a phone call. This was done solely because it was causing confusion among new purchasers, who were getting confused between FSD and EAP

That was exactly my understanding too.

I
. He said there's no reason to order it now versus waiting until the computer is available in Q1 but if anyone wants to order it, it just requires a phone call.

THIS on the other hand I don't think is what I remember him saying- my understanding was he was making clear there's no reason to wait to buy a car until HW3 comes from the factory- and that anyone who buys FSD right now is simply getting a discount on future FSD hardware upgrades that will be swapped in for free if they prepurchased FSD.

That seemed intended to not dissuade people who might otherwise think "Why buy a car with an outdated a computer instead of waiting for the new one"

That was exactly my understanding too.

THIS on the other hand I don't think is what I remember him saying- my understanding was he was making clear there's no reason to wait to buy a car until HW3 comes from the factory- and that anyone who buys FSD right now is simply getting a discount on future FSD hardware upgrades that will be swapped in for free if they prepurchased FSD.

That seemed intended to not dissuade people who might otherwise think "Why buy a car with an outdated a computer instead of waiting for the new one"

Reading this convinces me that I misunderstood the second point. Thanks for clearing it up.

I call BS on confusing people.. Its been displayed the same way for exactly 2 years when I bought my model S in October of 2016. Only confusion is if buyers will ever get what they paid for. They put up that doctored video showing it driving on its own for years with no actual progress but they have collected $3k a pop from many people even people that leased vehicles that will return their leases without ever seeing what they paid for. Its a good move to stop offering vaporware.

In hindsight here, it would've been nice if they clarified that your car may not ever see FSD in its lifetime, especially for leases. It's always been "2 years away." Smarter still, if you didn't have Level 5 (nothing less) by the time your car was past its useful life/lease, you get your full $3000 plus interest back.

Most of us will be past the bumper-to-bumper warranty so what if one of your FSD sensors isn't working when the time comes. Is that covered since it's out of warranty or did it break during warranty and you just didn't know about it because the car doesn't use it. I know AP2 is using "all the cameras" now but I get an intermittent alert that "surround view is limited."

I believe they're past the point of refunding everyone $3000 and just getting off the hook although that would be smart business on their part. I think most FSD purchasers will attempt to hold Tesla to their original claims rather than take $3000. At least I will try.

I call BS on confusing people.. Its been displayed the same way for exactly 2 years when I bought my model S in October of 2016. Only confusion is if buyers will ever get what they paid for. They put up that doctored video showing it driving on its own for years with no actual progress but they have collected $3k a pop from many people even people that leased vehicles that will return their leases without ever seeing what they paid for. Its a good move to stop offering vaporware.
In my personal experience, some people have been confused about the distinction between the "Autopilot" and "Full Self Driving" options, since the car doesn't actually do FSD today. There's zero confusion if you actually do your reading, but it's amazing how many consumers make car purchases with very little research. This is increasingly the case with Model 3 buyers now that it is becoming a mass market car.