Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RIP to my battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 Model X 100D is in the Service Center and needs a new high voltage battery. Yowza!

48K miles on it. 295 when new, charges to 271 now.

Was driving on Monday and encountered a bms_u0118 error. Car kept driving. Got home, made an appointment for service later in the week. Next morning, more errors and the car would not drive. Got it towed to the Service Center. Today they message me and say it’s the high voltage battery. They’re not sure how long to get a replacement. I’m slightly bummed in that I’m not sure of the quality of the replacement they’ll give me (I’m sure it will be a refurb unit). But what can you do.

They gave me a new (2k miles on it) Model X with a yoke wheel as a loner…and I really like it.

I've heard two different answers on the replacement batteries - they will give you whatever is laying around that you had originally in size, BUT might only deliver the same degraded range you are getting now... Or they will give you a brand new pack and software limit it to whatever the car had new (if it's larger and that is all that is available). As per usual, the trustworthiness of the answer from the service center people is worth less than nothing.

A replacement pack SHOULD restore your performance to what the car had when new. If that possible out of a refurb pack, then OK. The downside is that the warranty is ONLY for the remaining length of your existing warranty, if that's 1 day, then that's all you get. You only get the 4 year / 50k warranty on the pack if you pay for the pack.

I've heard two different answers on the replacement batteries - they will give you whatever is laying around that you had originally in size, BUT might only deliver the same degraded range you are getting now... Or they will give you a brand new pack and software limit it to whatever the car had new (if it's larger and that is all that is available). As per usual, the trustworthiness of the answer from the service center people is worth less than nothing.

A replacement pack SHOULD restore your performance to what the car had when new. If that possible out of a refurb pack, then OK. The downside is that the warranty is ONLY for the remaining length of your existing warranty, if that's 1 day, then that's all you get. You only get the 4 year / 50k warranty on the pack if you pay for the pack.
My car is going to be 5 years old in a couple of months. So...I'd still have a few years. Might ditch it after this. Yes...I know that's a rash decision. But this is the 2nd time I've had to flatbed my car to a SC. I don't want big $ repairs in the future...so it may be time.

Mine (two model X) have this year for the warranty, while the two model S are both out of warranty. The battery and drive units have not been the thing that has cost me the most money on ANY of them. The sheer overcomplexity of the design on the X and the locked-down nature of service and openly hostile attitude to owner right-to-repair... THAT has cost me literally over $10,000 now. That pisses me off more than anything else.

I have been successful in negotiating for some warranty repairs for things that suddenly failed (MCU2) without warning, and had to do FAR more research about recalls and TSBs for other things that could have cost me nearly a factor of 10 more money ($3500 quote for a $350 TSB) if I had not had that knowledge of their internal processes and documents. This should not be the way they behave. Lying to the customer in easily-provable ways is NOT how to have good customer service!

I continue to tell anyone that I speak with about my cars: I love the cars, but I HATE the company.

My 2019 Model X 100D is in the Service Center and needs a new high voltage battery. Yowza!

48K miles on it. 295 when new, charges to 271 now.

Was driving on Monday and encountered a bms_u0118 error. Car kept driving. Got home, made an appointment for service later in the week. Next morning, more errors and the car would not drive. Got it towed to the Service Center. Today they message me and say it’s the high voltage battery. They’re not sure how long to get a replacement. I’m slightly bummed in that I’m not sure of the quality of the replacement they’ll give me (I’m sure it will be a refurb unit). But what can you do.

They gave me a new (2k miles on it) Model X with a yoke wheel as a loner…and I really like it.

I'd rather have a refurbished battery than the original one that was in your X.

You'll be happy.

Interesting. Are the legacy (pre-refresh and pre-raven) MX 100D batteries generally not reliable?

My 2020 Raven X with version “E” battery failed at 45k miles. It was actually a wiring in the pack that shorted. Tesla replaced with a reman’d “E”.

The link below has at least 11 Raven Xs that also had fairly early battery pack failures. Some speculate something to do with the earlier Raven packs, but hard to conclude with limited data.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
My 2020 Raven X with version “E” battery failed at 45k miles. It was actually a wiring in the pack that shorted. Tesla replaced with a reman’d “E”.

The link below has at least 11 Raven Xs that also had fairly early battery pack failures. Some speculate something to do with the earlier Raven packs, but hard to conclude with limited data.

Interesting that it was the "earlier" Raven pack. My car was one of the last pre-Raven models produced. Wondering if they shared the same pack revision.

Mine (two model X) have this year for the warranty, while the two model S are both out of warranty. The battery and drive units have not been the thing that has cost me the most money on ANY of them. The sheer overcomplexity of the design on the X and the locked-down nature of service and openly hostile attitude to owner right-to-repair... THAT has cost me literally over $10,000 now. That pisses me off more than anything else.

That was the situation some years ago but it's getting better all the time.

Tesla EPC and service sites:

Parts Catalog
Service and diagnostic information for independent businesses and individuals involved in the professional maintenance and repair of Tesla vehicles.

First they opened to paid users, then for all registered users (for free) and then eventually opened completely so currently you don't even need to login.

If you are a company you can order parts directly, delivered to your address.. Individuals can order through service centers. That depends on the service center how easy it is, some have dedicated email address for parts ordering.

Tesla Toolbox access can be bought for relatively cheap (36,29 € per hour in Europe)..

Sure there are some things you can't do at home, but I wouldn't say it's "locked-down" nature of service..

Got the car back today. Took it in on Tuesday….got it back on Saturday.

BATT,100KWH,SX,REMANUFACTURED,RAVEN(1107679-02E) was the part they used. So…a remanufactured Raven battery. Revision E

They charged it to 90% at the service center…and that got me 245 miles which was pretty much exactly what I was getting on my old one. Should charge to 270 at full…again…what I got before.

Got the car back today. Took it in on Tuesday….got it back on Saturday.

BATT,100KWH,SX,REMANUFACTURED,RAVEN(1107679-02E) was the part they used. So…a remanufactured Raven battery. Revision E

They charged it to 90% at the service center…and that got me 245 miles which was pretty much exactly what I was getting on my old one. Should charge to 270 at full…again…what I got before.

So to clarify - this is the range you were getting on your car 1 day before the errors... Or when that car was brand new? (I don't see a signature line with a car description so it's hard to know)