Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help understanding these battery/ coolant heater diagnostics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cmwagner75DX

2016 Model X 75D, 6-seat, FSD, SCU1
Dec 25, 2023
Northern Virginia
Took my 16’ model X in due to the error codes seen on estimate, saw it might be the PTC Heater.

Can someone explain if these are all in-hand with eachother?
Battery Capacity Test ($253.50)
High Voltage Circuit Integrity Check ($585)
Thermal System Test ($19.50)
Isolation Test (?)

“Your technician was able to determine your battery coolant heater needs replaced. During further diagnosis of the components involved, he found battery coolant heater failed the isolation testing. All other components of the test, tested good. Tech is recommending replacement and testing again after replacement.”

Is it just me or is testing after replacement of anything typically good practice and industry standard?

Attachments

• IMG_0429.png
    IMG_0429.png
    549.9 KB · Views: 45
Seems like if they recommend replacement of something, the testing of that item would happen for free?, that seems like an industry standard?

Welcome to Tesla. And on a side note if you dont want to pay for repairs I would ditch the '16 asap.
test (failed), replaced part, now they want to run another test..

lol I just bought this used x

Upvote 0
Took my 16’ model X in due to the error codes seen on estimate, saw it might be the PTC Heater.

Can someone explain if these are all in-hand with eachother?
Battery Capacity Test ($253.50)
High Voltage Circuit Integrity Check ($585)
Thermal System Test ($19.50)
Isolation Test (?)

“Your technician was able to determine your battery coolant heater needs replaced. During further diagnosis of the components involved, he found battery coolant heater failed the isolation testing. All other components of the test, tested good. Tech is recommending replacement and testing again after replacement.”

Is it just me or is testing after replacement of anything typically good practice and industry standard?
If you ask for the print outs or to see the actual data of the battery and high voltage integrity check, they will usually refuse citing they aren't allowed to by corporate, and you can usually argue to get those charges removed, especially if still under warranty.

Upvote 0
So you are rebuilding your 2016, nice. With any older car/Tesla you are going to have constant repairs and Tesla's are not cheap as you can see. Get it fixed and overload, get a CRV
Getting it taken care of now so that it will be covered under the XCare warranty. I do plan on keeping it for a while until I realize I won’t get the updates.

I just bought it used so just getting it to be road worthy.

Are any of the parts updated or revised from what you can tell?

Upvote 0
The most expensive item on the list is the HV Circuit Integrity Test. Seriously? If you replace the items found to be defective that charge should be removed.
I agree, but they said the integrity test or the isolation test helps to pin point what component is actually faulty. I was able to get the battery capacity test removed as that was the most ridiculous charge I think. I explained to them I brought it in for an emergency service and another service advisor mentioned they would probably remove it so I just had to ask and I help the advisor to recall the situation.

Upvote 0