Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Risk of Repair Shop Swapping Old Batteries for New

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a fellow back into our new Model 3 LR with only 130 miles on it. Fortunately, sentry mode caught him in the act, including his license plate. I now need to bring the car to a repair shop. What is the risk of dishonest repair folks taking out brand new batteries and putting in old ones from another Tesla with, e.g. 100K of mileage?

Thanks for any thoughts

Not sure if this is actually a serious question, but what would there be for any repair shop to gain in trying this? "backed into the back of my car" does not sound like a full disassembly or anything, and battery replacement on these cars is not "drop and replace".

You know what the car charges to now, screenshot the charging screen and compare it when you get back. the 100% charge should be the same or very very small difference. If you find a larger difference you could go back to the shop.

"Thoughts" (since you asked) are, "this is a fairly unusual question for someone to join here to ask, as it boils down to "what is the risk the repair shop I personally chose to repair my car will defraud me?"

Upvote 0
I had a fellow back into our new Model 3 LR with only 130 miles on it. Fortunately, sentry mode caught him in the act, including his license plate. I now need to bring the car to a repair shop. What is the risk of dishonest repair folks taking out brand new batteries and putting in old ones from another Tesla with, e.g. 100K of mileage?

Thanks for any thoughts

Somewhere between zero and never.

The battery is paired to the car; they’d need Tesla to reprogram it to match the VIN.

Not to mention it’d call home and Tesla could see that *immediately*

So, uh, no.

• Love
Reactions: Ciaopec and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
battery replacement on these cars is not "drop and replace".
The physical part of a Model 3 battery replacement is apparently 11 hours of labor, because some of the bolts holding it onto the car are accessed from the inside, requiring removal and reinstallation of some of the interior.

So it is not like a "quick" swap where all bolts are accessed from the bottom like on some other EVs. (But even a "quick" swap by hand takes a while due to the battery being heavy.)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Ciaopec
Upvote 0

Just goes to show how stupid some people are... The skills to do that, but then, if its actually true, to POST ABOUT IT ONLINE where someone can see it. Someone is going to have rental history of their vehicles, and will be able to track that down.

So not only stealing an engine, but then dumb enough to post about it online.

Upvote 0
I am sure The rental (hertz?) company that ordered 100,000 of these has thought this through.

Given those are all LFP batteries it makes even less sense for anyone to do this with those.

Anyone see that video of U-Haul having one of their van engine swapped out?

To be fair, somewhat famously back in the 60s, Hertz was renting out special Shelby edition Mustangs, and there WERE folks who would swap/steal parts off those over a rental weekend, so it's not a new idea. Just not one that makes a ton of sense here.

Upvote 0