Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road debris took out a tire at 249 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of Indigo Montoya this past Saturday. Last night, she wasn’t nibble enough to avoid some road debris. Truth is, I’m just an old man and it was really my fault.
AA6E60D3-4271-4615-8758-80141443D648.jpeg

$400 for a tire, five days delivery as no one has them. Service appointment already set up for next week. Ugh.

Is there an actual leak that requires the tire to be replaced? We have a Model S with a similar gouge but were told by Discount Tire that it didn't need to be replaced.

BTW, when I took delivery of my Model S in 2016, I had the low pressure warning by the time I got home. That tire needed to be replaced after less than 25 miles due to a screw.

A couple weeks later, I had a second slow leak on a different OEM tire, I went to Discount Tire and bought their tire certificates for about $30 per tire, sight unseen. They then went out to my car and saw the tire and said they could order me a replacement for free, since it was covered by the tire certificate that I had just purchased. They ordered it but I was in the Tesla Service Center a day or so later and they were able to repair it for free. I never had another problem with it over the next 30k miles that I drove on it.

Is there an actual leak that requires the tire to be replaced? We have a Model S with a similar gouge but were told by Discount Tire that it didn't need to be replaced.

BTW, when I took delivery of my Model S in 2016, I had the low pressure warning by the time I got home. That tire needed to be replaced after less than 25 miles due to a screw.

A couple weeks later, I had a second slow leak on a different OEM tire, I went to Discount Tire and bought their tire certificates for about $30 per tire, sight unseen. They then went out to my car and saw the tire and said they could order me a replacement for free, since it was covered by the tire certificate that I had just purchased. They ordered it but I was in the Tesla Service Center a day or so later and they were able to repair it for free. I never had another problem with it over the next 30k miles that I drove on it.
No leak, but I am concerned about catastrophic failure while driving (insert legal speed limit here).
Good thought on the certificates. I’ll check into them. Thanks!