Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip Analytics Meaford, ON to Goodyear AZ and back. 12 days on the road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For 20 years, I have met friends in Phoenix area to play golf
I have always flown.. This year, I decided to drive my Tesla..
Did you know that to fly a person from Toronto to Phoenix it adds 1 tonne of CO2 per person to the atmosphere.
The Tesla contributes 0.07 tonnes
An ICE car contributes 1.7 tonnes

The trip From Meaford ON to Goodyear AZ was mostly environmentally motivated
( Gretta Thunberg Inspired)..
but there were other reasons I chose to drive:
1. curiosity about parts of the US I had never visited,
2. getting away from winter for 20 days,
3. testing out the car’s viability for road trips. EV journeys are still a bit of a new phenomenon
4. I really dislike the 2-3 hrs delays and intimidation going thru TSA in Toronto Airport.
Land border crossings only take about 5 min.. No Hassle

I do like to travel and road trips are a pleasure for me.. I have done many.. at least 6 multi-week journeys. I must say that in other cars I have owned that I could travel, at most, 6 hrs / day. And. I do admit that the last few days in the Tesla were tiring but for the most part it was exciting and fun.

The big factor this time was the Tesla.. the autopilot, comfortable, adjustable seats, and safety features did remove considerable stress while driving and the 40 min rest stops every 2-3 hrs were most welcome. I planned things out such that 2 of the 4 rest stops included time for a meal or a brief nap. And.. it allowed time to write a bit in my journal. So it was always productive time. I also enjoy listening to music streams (Slacker and Spotify), podcasts and audio books. The Tesla audio system is great! They help immensely to pass the time. But.. sometimes I shut everything down and just watch the scenery and think about stuff. (The Tesla is quiet enough to do that)
I think that the planners of the Tesla Supercharger network must have got input from a 70 yr old. There seems to be a strong correlation of the time between charging stops with the amount of time an old guy can endure sitting and their bladder capacity :)
Thanks for building a great car.. the best I have ever owned.

upload_2020-2-7_17-13-46.jpeg

Notes
1. Charge Cost Varies considerably at each Charger. Some times per Minute, sometimes per KW
2. Charge time and cost come directly from the Tesla Web Site History Report
3. On 3 stops I found one Charger slot that was not working and I had to move to another
4. The Car is a 2019 Model S all wheel Drive with 100KW battery. Range = 515 KM or 320 Miles
5. Breakfast was often free in the hotel, Lunch was usually a sandwich from nearby the supercharger

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-7_17-13-46.png
    upload_2020-2-7_17-13-46.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 38
I learned 2 things about Autopilot Software..
1. In certain light.. Deep shadows under an overpass appear to be a barrier to the Tesla
2. Never.. Never engage auto steer if you are not correctly in a lane. The poor dear goes nuts trying to figure out what lane to follow.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
@MacsEV Good luck and have fun! It sounds like it will be a ton of fun!! I

f you have the time, take pictures along the way and update this thread like a journal while stopped at a Supercharger. It will make for great reading for the rest of us.

I think that the planners of the Tesla Supercharger network must have got input from a 70 yr old. There seems to be a strong correlation of the time between charging stops with the amount of time an old guy can endure sitting and their bladder capacity :)

Yes, indeed!