Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Airbnb with Dryer Outlet During Colorado Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla Community,

I'm planning a road trip in Colorado and will be staying at a mountain cabin Airbnb. The nearest Supercharger is 2 hours away, and I need to figure out a way to charge at the Airbnb to avoid anxiety about charging.

1. Can I use a 240-volt dryer outlet for Level 2 charging of my Tesla?
2. What type of adapter will I need for this setup?
3. Any safety tips or considerations when using a dryer outlet for charging?
4. Has anyone had similar experiences and can share how it worked out?

The regular 120-volt outlet charges too slowly, and I don’t want to worry about running out of charge because we will be using the car throughout the day. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

10 miles away
If I’m looking at a map correctly, that’s not far from Poncha Springs supercharger?
Poncha Springs is approximately 18 miles west of Howard, CO, via US-50 W. The drive takes around 20-25 minutes. It seems Salida is closer than Poncha Springs. I guess that's the option is to drive 20 minutes to charge. This is my first out of town trip in the Tesla.

Reactions: GWord
Upvote 0
Hi Tesla Community,

I'm planning a road trip in Colorado and will be staying at a mountain cabin Airbnb. The nearest Supercharger is 2 hours away, and I need to figure out a way to charge at the Airbnb to avoid anxiety about charging.

The regular 120-volt outlet charges too slowly, and I don’t want to worry about running out of charge because we will be using the car throughout the day. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Yes, if you have the Mobile Connector. You may need a suitable 240-volt extension cord to reach the vehicle from the laundry. They never seem to design houses with this in mind! Check places like Walmart for RV accessories, they have a small selection of extension cords and adaptors too. I made my own from buying AWG 8 multi-stranded 4-wire cable by the foot from Home Depot and the plug/socket I needed and wired it myself.

Most dryer outlets are NEMA 14-30 type, meaning they support peak 30 amps, 24 amps continuous, so limit your current draw to that, otherwise the breaker will flip on you, as these are usually heat-based devices. If it is NEMA 14-50, then your mobile connector should plug straight in (assuming you have that plug type in your kit, some cars did not come with that) and you can pull 40 amps.

Older style outlets, pre-1996, are often NEMA 10-30. See NEMA connector - Wikipedia for what the plugs look like.

If after 30-minutes the dryer outlet or any plug seems really hot, turn the current down. At one place I go, I have to limit draw to 18 amps to stop getting a burning smell in the laundry.

Yes, I have done this at several places. But also don't fear the 110 volt outlet too. I charged from that at one place that was 60-miles from a supercharger, and just kept it plugged in all the time. and got to 100% by the time we left for the airport without having to top off to please the Turo rental man. Also, it is rare for there not to be a level-2 J-1772 charger in town somewhere. PlugShare lists public chargers of all types, so check the map for what is near your destination and there are even private EV owners willing to share their juice with you. Bring your j-1772 adaptor. Also check out CCS adaptors if there's a charger like that near your destination.

Concerning range anxiety, remember that if you are at high-elevation, your downhill cruise to the SC will use less power than the uphill climb, so you will need less kWh to get back to the lowlands.

Upvote 0
10 miles away

Poncha Springs is approximately 18 miles west of Howard, CO, via US-50 W. The drive takes around 20-25 minutes. It seems Salida is closer than Poncha Springs. I guess that's the option is to drive 20 minutes to charge. This is my first out of town trip in the Tesla.

You could do that and supplement with 120V charging at your rental. That's what I typically do, now that chargers are more ubiquitous. In my Model S I can usually get about 20% back overnight with 120V. Sometimes that's enough to cover daily driving if it's all local. Sometimes I have to supplement with fast charging every few days to make up the gap. Looks like there are several CCS fast chargers in adjacent towns. If you have a newer Tesla, maybe a CCS adapter plus 120V is preferable instead of messing with the dryer?

Reactions: gsmith123
Upvote 0
Yeah, that’ll be an easy trip in a Tesla. On the way there you could charge either in Poncha Springs or Colorado Springs.

For day trips, i guess it depends how far and where you’re going. Poncha Springs is good to top up if you go west. Salida has free Rivian L2 chargers (11kw) that are great btw

I wouldn’t be stressing about how to use dryer plugs at all for that trip (and I’ve been to Salida probably a dozen times from Denver)

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
10 miles away

With that and a high quality regular extension cord and regular adapter you should be fine.

The problem with dryers in many houses is the distance from the car. You need a high quality heavy gauge extension cord that has the proper plug/socket.

There are extensions that can go on the Tesla connector side as a different option.

But I cannot speak to the quality.

Reactions: gsmith123
Upvote 0
Buy the NEMA 10-30 Tesla adapter, then buy a 10-30 to 14-30 adapter and a 10-30 extension cord:

You will need this adapter if the dryer outlet is the newer NEMA 14-30 type:

50 foot extension cord. These are available in shorter versions if you don't need 50 feet. If the dryer outlet is a NEMA 10-30, you just plug the extension cord directly into the outlet.

This way you only need one Tesla adapter, and only need a 3 conductor extension cord, which is not as heavy and less expensive than a NEMA 14-30 which is a 4 conductor cord.

I have this set up and have used it many times.

Also keep a good quality 120 volt extension cord, made from 12 gauge wire, which you can use as a last resort in case something does not work with the dryer outlet.

Upvote 0
While we have the attention of those knowledgeable users in this thread, I have a supplemental question or two on charging at a vacation rental place where you don't have any high-power outlet accessible and can't change the wiring setup.

I've stayed at hotels where the A/C unit had a molded double plug on it that would plug into two NEMA 5-15 outlets (the standard 110-volt outlet) at the same time. Is this done to allow the unit to pull more amps at 110v (up to the circuit breakers continuous rating), or are two 5-15 outlets actually on separate split-phase circuits, and so can provide 220-volts at up to 12 amps draw (the current rating for the outlets)?

Most homes have different parts of the home using circuits on either the "A" or "B" side of the split phase pair that enters the house at the breaker panel. So it ought to be possible to use two extension cords to bring both to a location where you could combine them properly into a 220-volt outlet and plug your EV charger into that. Hey, 2.8kW is twice as good as 1.4. Has anyone tried this? Is it safe even if one breaker decides to flip off because someone turned on a hairdryer or such?

Upvote 0
While we have the attention of those knowledgeable users in this thread, I have a supplemental question or two on charging at a vacation rental place where you don't have any high-power outlet accessible and can't change the wiring setup.

I've stayed at hotels where the A/C unit had a molded double plug on it that would plug into two NEMA 5-15 outlets (the standard 110-volt outlet) at the same time. Is this done to allow the unit to pull more amps at 110v (up to the circuit breakers continuous rating), or are two 5-15 outlets actually on separate split-phase circuits, and so can provide 220-volts at up to 12 amps draw (the current rating for the outlets)?

Most homes have different parts of the home using circuits on either the "A" or "B" side of the split phase pair that enters the house at the breaker panel. So it ought to be possible to use two extension cords to bring both to a location where you could combine them properly into a 220-volt outlet and plug your EV charger into that. Hey, 2.8kW is twice as good as 1.4. Has anyone tried this? Is it safe even if one breaker decides to flip off because someone turned on a hairdryer or such?
Don't know about the hotel situation, but if you understand how split phase power works, you can do this. I do not think this is for the average person.

You would need to have two NEMA 5-15 (or 5-20) plugs wired to a NEMA 6-15 (or 6-20) receptacle and then find two outlets in the house that are on different sides of the split phase service. You would wire the hot wire from each 5-15 plug to one of the hot prongs on the 6-15, tie the grounds together and not connect the neutral wires from the 5-15 to anything.

If one circuit breaker tripped, then it would not work, but it should not hurt anything.

Amazon sells something like this, but with a L14-30R receptacle. You would have to have an adapter to go from the L14-30R to a Tesla NEMA 6-15 adapter cable.

WHILE YOU COULD DO THIS, I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS.

Upvote 0
But also don't fear the 110 volt outlet too.

And if you get lucky, you may find a 20A 110 volt receptacle - the ones where one slot is T-shaped. I believe some locales mandate them for certain locations. You’ll need the right adapter from Tesla, but it comes close to doubling the charge rate from about 4 miles of range per hour to about 7.

We found one outside our motel room in the FL panhandle, where Superchargers are rather scarce.

52897201675_185b17ba4b_c.jpg

We always ask if it’s OK and no one’s said no yet. I think we picked up close to 100 miles of range by morning.

Upvote 0
And if you get lucky, you may find a 20A 110 volt receptacle - the ones where one slot is T-shaped. I believe some locales mandate them for certain locations. You’ll need the right adapter from Tesla, but it comes close to doubling the charge rate from about 4 miles of range per hour to about 7.

We found one outside our motel room in the FL panhandle, where Superchargers are rather scarce.

We always ask if it’s OK and no one’s said no yet. I think we picked up close to 100 miles of range by morning.
we got plenty superchargers if you don't stay in the sketchy parts with scary motels

Upvote 0
Don't know about the hotel situation, but if you understand how split phase power works, you can do this. I do not think this is for the average person.

You would need to have two NEMA 5-15 (or 5-20) plugs wired to a NEMA 6-15 (or 6-20) receptacle and then find two outlets in the house that are on different sides of the split phase service. You would wire the hot wire from each 5-15 plug to one of the hot prongs on the 6-15, tie the grounds together and not connect the neutral wires from the 5-15 to anything.

If one circuit breaker tripped, then it would not work, but it should not hurt anything.

Amazon sells something like this, but with a L14-30R receptacle. You would have to have an adapter to go from the L14-30R to a Tesla NEMA 6-15 adapter cable.

WHILE YOU COULD DO THIS, I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS.

These can leave a live plug which is, of course, dangerous.

There is a commercial solution -

But these don’t work on gfci outlets which are most likely to be found in a garage or outside.

I would try to avoid.

Upvote 0
we got plenty superchargers if you don't stay in the sketchy parts with scary motels

Not as much on a Supercharger desert as I recall…

53762866437_1dd5f65431_z.jpg

But we were in Port St Joe in a fairly low state of charge. So the extra hundred miles or so overnight gave us some extra breathing room.

The motel was nothing fancy, and the Bates family was quite accommodating. Still, something a little creepy about it.

• Funny
Reactions: Acps110 and GWord
Upvote 0
These can leave a live plug which is, of course, dangerous.

There is a commercial solution -

But these don’t work on gfci outlets which are most likely to be found in a garage or outside.

I would try to avoid.
That's exactly what happened to me when I did some creative wiring for times when I need a faster charge at home. Tripped the damn GFCI. I wasn't anticipating that, but in hindsight duh.

Upvote 0

Anticipate it tripping the breaker if it's on a 15 amp circuit or on a 20 amp circuit that's not dedicated. As long as you have access to the breaker panel not a big deal. If you do have access then you can verify that it's a 20 amp.

Upvote 0