Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip: Dallas <-> Denver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I am planning a road trip from Dallas to Denver (and back).

I plan to drive through the Panhandle. My two concerns: (1) progressively colder climate/higher altitude. (2) very remote. From Amarillo to Trinidad Superchargers, the distance is over 225 miles.. I have a Model 3 LR RWD.

I am using A Better Routeplanner which takes elevation and speed into estimating the Wh/mile, however it does not factor in temperature.

Has anyone done this trip? I would appreciate any advice you might have.

I have done this trip in my S85, I stopped at an RV park and charged a couple hours to be sure I could make the trip. The place I stopped to charge was Keeths RV park 2101–2105 Texline Hwy, Clayton, NM 88415

Nice guy, just put some $$ in his box for the power used off the 40amp. Good idea to let him know you are comming to make sure there is an available hookup, there is another RV park option that is free but you will have a bathroom at Keeths location, otherwise pretty desolate.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: pcpro and Gattacal
I have done this trip in my S85, I stopped at an RV park and charged a couple hours to be sure I could make the trip. The place I stopped to charge was Keeths RV park 2101–2105 Texline Hwy, Clayton, NM 88415

Nice guy, just put some $$ in his box for the power used. Good idea to let him know you are comming to make sure there is an available hookup, there is another RV park option that is free but you will have a bathroom at Keeths location, otherwise pretty desolate.

Great advice! It is a good midway point. Glad to know this is feasible.

Am I irrational to think I would be stranded in some of the remotest part of the country? Using the ABRP, everything seems to be cutting it close, with speed limit of 50 mph in large stretches.

Pack snacks and water, you can refill your water bottles at keeths, no chance you will be stranded but be prepared to eat 30-40% more range for the distance due to cold, stong headwinds, and climbing altitude. Charge time at the RV park could be from 2hrs to 4.5hrs depending on energy used.

Reactions: Gattacal
I’ve done this, but in the summer. I have a long range RWD 19”. Started with full 100% charge in Amarillo. Went the exact speed limit (because I knew elevation was a killer) and made it to Trinidad with around 10% left. Colder temps will not help of course. If you’re able to tolerate it, try to limit the heater use and use seat warmers instead.
As others have said, you can look into a couple of RV parks along the way to add some range at a slow rate. Clayton, Dalhart, and Capulin have options I believe.
On the way back, I drove 5 mph over speed limit and had no worries making it to Amarillo.

On another note: Childress to Amarillo took about 165 miles of range the last time I did that run (late October, which was ok temps still)

Also once you get to CO there may be colder weather, most likely you will see the "tire pressure low" warning. This is normal, the cold will affect the tire pressure, just be sure to keep on eye on them PSI and if they continue dropping get them checked out. And no, unfortunately there is no way to get rid of the stupid message blocking a portion of the cars around you!

Here are my stats, with my Model S with 85 kwh battery and 261 mile range.

Amarillo to Trinidad, CO supercharger stats - round trip

If you have range anxiety, there are free 240v 40 amp circuits at the municipal RV parks in Dumas, and Dalhart, TX. I used the Dalhart RV park twice and it was easy for a quick 45 minute boost.

The decision point for you will probably be Raton. See my usage from Raton to the top of Raton pass. There is also an RV park in Raton if you miscalculate somehow. The NRA Whittington center is also nearby if you are an NRA member...

B15D8858-B762-4FAE-BBE3-36EA477B572C.png
Hello!

I am planning a road trip from Dallas to Denver (and back).

I plan to drive through the Panhandle. My two concerns: (1) progressively colder climate/higher altitude. (2) very remote. From Amarillo to Trinidad Superchargers, the distance is over 225 miles.. I have a Model 3 LR RWD.

I am using A Better Routeplanner which takes elevation and speed into estimating the Wh/mile, however it does not factor in temperature.

Has anyone done this trip? I would appreciate any advice you might have.
I don’t think you are making it unless you go very slow.

You will either have to hit that RV park or not cut the corner.

View attachment 357236
I don’t think you are making it unless you go very slow.

You will either have to hit that RV park or not cut the corner.

Is this map going to Amarillo? It looks like the destination is actually Childress supercharger.

Actually, the temperature vs your choices on heating are going to be a large determinant. The wind in your example is only 5mph, which is actually less than what I usually see on this segment. If you dress warmly and keep the cabin heated to only 60 - 65 , then you will use less kWh for heating. For my S, the 'MPH sweet spot' for range was around 60.

IMO, this is doable, particularly if your 3 has more range than my model S. If you have headwinds, need to run the heat, or want to drive fast, then stop in Dalhart to top off the battery.