Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadshow Model 3 Performance Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not an impressive review in terms of really drilling down on what the car offers, and why it's drop kicking the German sports sedans in sales. BTW, the total sales of the BMW 3 series for any recent month is less than the average sales of the Model 3 recently over any five day period in the last year. Sales of both those German cars are cratering.

I think he misses the forest for the trees, or perhaps he's trying not to incur the wrath of the ICE German sports sedan crowd by making sure that he nit picks the M3PE. as much as possible.

As for lacking 'refinement' compared to the BMW M3 and the Merc C63, OMG, that's a joke. Drive one of those on a really rough road - while the C63 structure is solid, it will bounce all over the place, and so does the BMW. Most of the time, the Tesla is MORE refined, more comfortable, and no less capable.

In terms of real minuses compared to the C63 and M3, I do think that the M3P interior comes off as a bit spartan, and the touchscreen-centric OS still needs some work and refinement, which is coming I'm sure. But I'm also confident that on a road course, where you can really exploit the point-and-squirt drive train, the Tesla will simply tromp the Germans.

And that's long before you get to the uncomfortable subject of cost per mile mileage, maintenance outlays, long term depreciation and overall cost of ownership over the longer term. There is a reason BMW gives you the first two years of maintenance - it's so you don't realize how you are going to get hosed owning it.

And don't bring up the subject of crashworthiness either. Most of all, don't consider which option is more ecological and responsible. It would be one thing if the Germans could win the performance discussion, while getting clocked on ownership costs, ecology, economy and safety. But since they lose badly on all those points, and then also get beaten on performance, well, it's just painful for those guys, and if you bought one of these expensive and until now state of the art sports sedans recently, and then were stupid enough to go test drive a Tesla M3P, you'd be sick.

It's a myopic review.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gavyne and heems
His evaluation of the interface is completely wrong. I never have to mess with it anymore on any complex level. Once you've got it setup it the only buttons you push are to make phone calls and listen to music. Who screws around with the "safety" features while they're driving or really ever once you've got them setup??