Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Munro Associates Review of 2024 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe the car is nice

Maybe if he did a bikini review in a jacuzzi.

Tesla spends B$$ on R&D while you're regurgitating your frustration on stalkless without trying/experience. Never mind there'll be horse carriage in somewhere in this world in 2030.
[...]where are or is your pictures with or in Cybertruck?

Time to go back on the meds?

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc
I always enjoy Sandy's analysis.

I cannot disagree more with him on the stalks, though. He views them as a cost. I view them as a critical piece of the interface. He talks about how the are expensive and Tesla saves money by taking them out but I can say for a fact that I will not buy a car without a turn signal stalk. Period. I know I'm not alone, either. They may save money on production but they'll lose it in sales.
Your choice not to buy. FWIW, it took me about 2 days to adjust to the lack of stalks on my current X.

Munro used to be tech-minded, but lost his touch (and key staff) a while back.
Now he just verbally pleasures Elon at every turn.,
This time around, over a loner (Cali MFG plate) Model 3. The review is pure fluff. The opposite of technical or quantifiable.

The "new" model is quicker and more responsive than "old"?
"Somehow the vehicle felt different. It feels tuned".
New car is "more ergonomic and more artistic". "Driving it is a real pleasure".

The rest of the review is a menagerie of minor nitpicks on trunk harness attachment, door hinges, glass lamination, and frunk injection molding shape.
Munro produced did EXACTLY what Tesla wanted him to do in exchange for loaning him a car.

Waste viewers time with useless platitudes.

a
This video wasn’t as technical as most of their videos but In their defense, It sounds like they were loaned this car from the local Tesla dealer, only had it for a short time and couldn’t do much other than look (he mentioned they couldn’t even take the cowling off.) with those limitations there wasn’t much they could do besides a test drive, look, and extrapolate from what they saw.

Your choice not to buy. FWIW, it took me about 2 days to adjust to the lack of stalks on my current X.
I’m sure I could get used to it but I also have a wife would not be happy and would need to go back and forth between a car with a stalk and a car without. Then there’s the fact that they’re also moving the brights and the washer controls.

Ultimately, what’s most frustrating is there is zero benefit to removing them. I couldn’t find the cost of a stalk for a Tesla but for other cars they appear to cost about $125. That’s resale parts cost; the manufacturer’s costs would be significantly lower so we’re talking less than $100 on a $60k car for zero benefit and arguably some drawbacks.

Reactions: E90alex and afadeev
This video wasn’t as technical as most of their videos but In their defense, It sounds like they were loaned this car from the local Tesla dealer, only had it for a short time and couldn’t do much other than look (he mentioned they couldn’t even take the cowling off.) with those limitations there wasn’t much they could do besides a test drive, look, and extrapolate from what they saw.

I’m sure I could get used to it but I also have a wife would not be happy and would need to go back and forth between a car with a stalk and a car without. Then there’s the fact that they’re also moving the brights and the washer controls.

Ultimately, what’s most frustrating is there is zero benefit to removing them. I couldn’t find the cost of a stalk for a Tesla but for other cars they appear to cost about $125. That’s resale parts cost; the manufacturer’s costs would be significantly lower so we’re talking less than $100 on a $60k car for zero benefit and arguably some drawbacks.

100% agreed on the stalks. We could get used to it but let's also think about other regions in the world where parallel parking and 3-point turns are very common or where they have to signal at roundabouts. Minimalist design is not always better, at least they should have made it optional

It is a Model 3, but the very first time it was referred to as the Highlander.

What I am saying is, we don’t know whether they were comparing the Long Range Highlander to the old Model 3 RWD or LR...
This is a Highlander

IMG_5871.jpeg

Reactions: Adam3 and sleepydoc
True, a few will not buy. But sales are not impacted by nonsales, Highland is selling like hot cakes and production can barely keep up with demand. Take a look at the Highland waiting threads.
We don’t have sale numbers yet. The wait to buy one is roughly a month which isn’t really that much. And from what I understand there have been some production issues slowing things down.

RE the endless stalk moaning - I’m generally negative on the change although I will say I found the buttons far less problematic on the refresh 3 because they’re actual buttons vs. the haptic ones on the S/X.

It’s just not that big of a deal.
Already some posts on this site of the turn signal buttons not working on the 3H. Never seen problems with the old stalk not working except if you tapped it too quick.

Reactions: sleepydoc
The thing is, they're not removing the controls, just trading them for another one. Why? trading a simple stalk for a cluttered steering wheel is no real improvement and arguably worse.
100% agree. Nothing more than a cost cutting measure disguised as “innovation” and the fanboys are eating it up. It does nothing better than a stalk and many things worse.

Same could be said for the removal of radar, removal of USS, lack of rain sensor, and the entire lack of drivers display to begin with on the 3/Y.

100% agree. Nothing more than a cost cutting measure disguised as “innovation” and the fanboys are eating it up. It does nothing better than a stalk and many things worse.

Same could be said for the removal of radar, removal of USS, lack of rain sensor, and the entire lack of drivers display to begin with on the 3/Y.
I am hoping some day the market punishes them for their more brain dead decisions. Maybe this quarter. But usually they’re able to put out enough smoke and mirrors to keep the investors happy

Reactions: E90alex

I do not have any issues going back and forth between our 3 with stalks and the X without.

I have many more issues when I rent/borrow an ICE vehicle, especially if it has a button for on/start/off. I will walk away with the car still running and unlocked since my Teslas just shut down and locks when you walk away. And there are all the buttons and switches!!!! Why!!! And don't get me started on speedometers with changing scales where sometimes is 5 mph between hash marks and sometimes 10 mph.

Last edited:
Reactions: vcor and sleepydoc