Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster at 2008 Gumball 3000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
The San Francisco Citizen Blog Archive San Francisco Loves the GUMBALL 3000 10th Anniversary Rally

Anyone know which car this is?

go8f0652-copy.jpg

Edit: Confirmed the car is P1/F1.

Last edited:
Looks Like the Tesla driver is Elon. Just a back-of-the-head guess.

Also the garage charger looks rather prototypish maybe only availible to a company man?

What kind of car is sharing the garage in the last shot? I like the paint.

Hm, I've always wondered in the back of my mind ever since the Tesla came out, what it would be like to drive one in a long range rally (in fact when watching videos of supercars travelling a long range, I've always wondered what it would be like if it was electric instead of gasoline). I guess we'll see. Hopefully the long recharge and limited range won't make it fall too behind. And it's charging in standard mode, so it isn't using the full capacity of the battery. Hopefully whoever is driving it has a blog!

Edit:
this video shows the Tesla, doesn't look like Elon is driving (changed video, this one more clear, starting at 1:25, just link to save bandwidth):
YouTube - 2008 Gumball Rally 3000 racing in San Francisco, CA

Starting line, Tesla at 4:12:
YouTube - Gumball 3000 - 2008 Full Cars Part 1

Last edited:
Looks Like the Tesla driver is Elon. Just a back-of-the-head guess.
Didn't look like Elon to me, though the car may very well be P1.
What kind of car is sharing the garage in the last shot? I like the paint.
Yes that's the Ford GT (modern version of the '60s GT40) in that matte black paint which seemed fairly popular last year.
794447.jpg

Jerry Calrkson had a Frod GT for a little bit but eventually had to return it because he had so many problems with it. (One part of his saga here: YouTube - Jeremy's Ford GT Breaks Down. Btw, like embedded images, I don't think embedded videos use much of this site's bandwidth. I only use a link here since it's a bit off topic.)
I always liked how the side air intake of the GT looks like the vector thrust exhaust on a Harrier. the need for speed on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
Funny how every shot and video has the driver hiding his face or the camera looking away. Talk about conspiracy theorys!

PS, thanks for the GT heads up. I have a friend with one! It's that flat black that throws me. So it's GT option?

Last edited:
I suppose we need a post pointing out that the Gumball rally is shameless excess. The Tesla shows an alternative to all those gas guzzlers flaunting their stuff, but even the Tesla is going to be laying down some carbon footprint with the car being flown from the US to Asia to continue the parade party.

20080810-174003-1.jpg

Last edited:
I suppose we need a post pointing out that the Gumball rally is shameless excess. The Tesla shows an alternative to all those gas guzzlers flaunting their stuff, but even the Tesla is going to be laying down some carbon footprint with the car being flown from the US to Asia to continue the parade party.

I assume it is even worse than this. The other cars (if I understand it correctly) drove from San Francisco to L.A. We know this is pretty much impossible with the Tesla. So it must have just gone through the parade, and then gotten loaded back up on a plane and flown on each domestic hop as well.

Of course, probably the cargo plane was already in San Francisco and was already flying to each of the domestic stops as well, so that fuel was probably being spent regardless.