Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster data/GPS module, need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just replaced the Garmin antenna shown on my roadster. At first, it did not work. Ended up unplugging the power to the module under the passenger dash and waiting for a few minutes and re-plugged in, which caused a reset, which worked. Just another thought if you plug it in and it doesn't work... try a reset.

My VDS GPS / GSM isn't working and Tesla wants $600 to fix it, so I bought the Garmin GPS18x module linked here to Amazon and would like some help installing it. I'm happy to take pictures and document the procedure in posts here to help others down the road who need this repair.

Could someone help me tackle this, with some steps and instructions (specifically, what do I remove, where do I look for the part I'm replacing, etc).

Here are two pics of where it is located. You remove the left front wheel and the wheel well liner. There is only one 5.5mm nut holding it on. You can reach around the front of the headlight mount and remove it. Tesla probably removes the headlight but you don't have to. The second pic is what you will see from the bottom.

Attachments

• SAM_4021.JPG
    SAM_4021.JPG
    395.8 KB · Views: 104
  • SAM_4024.JPG
    SAM_4024.JPG
    352.7 KB · Views: 87
Today I have lost the GPS signal on my VDS and as a result also on OVMS.
I've tried to reset the VDS through the diagnostic menu - still no signal.
Any other ideas ?
This thread is bit confusing about where the GPS module for the VDS is located.
Is the one near the headlights ?

Today I have lost the GPS signal on my VDS and as a result also on OVMS.
I've tried to reset the VDS through the diagnostic menu - still no signal.
Any other ideas ?
This thread is bit confusing about where the GPS module for the VDS is located.
Is the one near the headlights ?
It could also be the antenna. Unfortunately I don't know an easy way to tell the difference, unless it's a broken wire or connector.

I've determined that my car is missing the module which gives the VDS its GPS and data-stream (w/ Tesla). I have an antenna but the module itself is missing. Wondering if anyone knows anything about these modules, any idea if ots a garmin unit or some other oem manufacturer and if so what the part number may be? If you can see yours and find the part numbers off the sides it would be super helpful! The module is mounted next to the wiper fluid reservoir up front (you would need to remove the black plastic shroud, which has 7 bolts or clips holding it down, to visualize it)

It seems like this module is necessary to get gps tracking for ovms and an accurate clock in the vds. I want to have those 2 features!

Thanks in advance!

Mine is having a similar issue and I cant figure it out. Tesla is USELESS and just want to replace the unit for $600.00

I get altitude and directional data on the VDS display so I'm assuming the GPS unit it working as the data is sent in one record via RS232 to the VMS.

Not sure why its not seeing the TIME part of the record. Date shows 1/1/1970 or 2/7/2186.

I've reset the VMS and it still shows in error.

Any other suggestions? I really cant believe the Garmin unit is faulty if it sees SOME of the date and not time and date.

I had a similar issue in NOV when they powered down the car and replaced the battery. Took the tech 2 days to get it VMS/VDS all working properly again.

Love the car, just frustrating when you know more then the tech's do at TESLA and all they want to do is replace and try...replace something else...any try.... etc....

I've routed around the usual places (Mouser, Digi) and the Molex site. Either it something that's been EOL'ed or possibly custom (unlikely, I think). The problem is the center facing sloped pin -- can't find anything that matches. Its almost certainly a Molex part though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Its possible I missed it, the parametric searches for Molex stuff is abysmal.

This is the tesla connector documentation from the service guide
upload_2019-8-20_15-5-17.png

This is the tyco part for the HARNESS Plug for the GPS

upload_2019-8-20_15-6-9.png