Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster production dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check this out:
817-a.png

817-b.png

So #817 was "manufactured" in Dec 2009, but "assembled" 1-Jan-2010 (same as GregD's #834)

...I assume that the gliders arrived in California from Lotus, and then Tesla installed the motor, battery, and PEM...
Yes.

Last edited:
My son and daughter-in-law were engineering students at Stanford in the 90s. They knew some of those who worked for Tesla in the beginning so my son got a ride in a test car I'm guessing about 2007 and was stoked on it. So he worked on me. I live in Santa Barbara and finally decided to go to LA where they were offering Roadster test drives in the spring of 2011. Lo and behold I saw in ad in the paper offering test rides in Santa Barbara! So I took the test drive here instead and was really excited about the car. My first car was an MG-TD at age 19 and have always driven 2 seaters with no roof since.(Am MGB and a series of Alfa Romeos.)

So the weekend after the test ride was Earth Day in Santa Barbara and I went and talked to the three Roadster owners who were showing their cars. Needless to say, they were all enthusiastic and we are still friends to this day.

The next weekend I flew up to Menlo Park and went to the Tesla showroom. They gave me the keys to their test car and told me to be back in an hour. What kind of dealer does that? Unheard of! So my son and I got on the freeway--what acceleration! We drove up Page Mill Road in Palo Alto. It is a windy road and after you are out of town and go up the hill there are few cars. A good place to test the Roadster. Except for the one car in front of me--a brand new Corvette! He saw me, hit the gas and went as fast as he could. I stayed right on his tail.

When we got back to Menlo Park put a deposit on a Model S as they weren't being made yet. (He ended up with a Signature Model S in 2012.) I wanted the Roadster right then. But there was a three month wait to get one. Hmmm.... "Wait a minute" said the salesman. "We have an Electric Blue model someone ordered and the deal fell through." So I bought it right then.

As we were leaving I said to my son, "I wonder if that Corvette is owned by Tesla? They just sold two cars!"

So I guess that though my car was built right there in Menlo Park in December 2010 it didn't just sit around all that time. It was prepared for sale to someone else--and I lucked out and ended up with the Roadster.

Tesla Roadster #1180.jpg

I assume that the gliders arrived in California from Lotus, and then Tesla installed the motor, battery, and PEM, after which they installed and started the firmware for the first time. That first time stamp in the firmware is what determines the birth date. I can't recall, but there might be some trouble cars that needed firmware re-installed, and those might have mysterious birth dates.
No, the firmware was started in the Lotus factory in Hethel. The VDS in our car says Assembled 6 October 2008 in San Carlos, CA. We sat in the car (without drivetrain) in the factory in Hethel on October 13. We saw the car pull out of the garage at Menlo Park for its first test drive on October 26, and we took delivery on October 31. On the other hand, the label on the door says September, 2008.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski and eHorses
No, the firmware was started in the Lotus factory in Hethel. The VDS in our car says Assembled 6 October 2008 in San Carlos, CA. We sat in the car (without drivetrain) in the factory in Hethel on October 13. We saw the car pull out of the garage at Menlo Park for its first test drive on October 26, and we took delivery on October 31. On the other hand, the label on the door says September, 2008.
I've always heard that the battery, motor, and electronics (PEM?) were not made in Hethel. They've been manufactured at more than one place during the history of the Roadster, though.

What I don't know is where the Unix (Linux?) operating system runs. If that's in a module separate from the PEM or other electronics, then I suppose it would make sense that Lotus would install the OS and get it started.

Does anyone have links to information about where the OS physically lives in the car? That, and where the module is manufactured, et cetera?

Does anyone have links to information about where the OS physically lives in the car? That, and where the module is manufactured, et cetera?

I don't know the specifics on any vehicles, but do keep in mind that sometimes there are multiple different CPUs running their own OS for different functions.
So may be best to avoid assuming that a car has one OS running for everything. These days even little modules can be their own computer.
Just as one example, some of the touch screen stereo options in Roadsters may run their own OS instead of just dedicate hardware.

I don't know the specifics on any vehicles, but do keep in mind that sometimes there are multiple different CPUs running their own OS for different functions.
So may be best to avoid assuming that a car has one OS running for everything. These days even little modules can be their own computer.
Just as one example, some of the touch screen stereo options in Roadsters may run their own OS instead of just dedicate hardware.
I'm talking about the main operating system - the one that maintains VehicleLogs, has the serial number and manufacture date.
I don't doubt that it's completely separate from the DSP firmware that operates the motor - which surely doesn't have the overhead of Linux or any high level OS.
The Alpine car stereo certainly runs its own software.