Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Specs...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few questions about Roadster specs..

I am wondering if all Roadsters come with Voice activated Navigation features or if only the Roadsters that come with Navigation come with this feature.

Second question is since the Roadster doesn't come with the touch screen, like the Model S and X do- does it still rely on 3g for anything? I am looking at a pre-owned 2010 Roadster with no Navigation. Wondering if 3g is still in there or is there not any use for it?

Thanks y'all

A few questions about Roadster specs..

I am wondering if all Roadsters come with Voice activated Navigation features or if only the Roadsters that come with Navigation come with this feature.

Second question is since the Roadster doesn't come with the touch screen, like the Model S and X do- does it still rely on 3g for anything? I am looking at a pre-owned 2010 Roadster with no Navigation. Wondering if 3g is still in there or is there not any use for it?

Thanks y'all

The navigation on my Roadster is legacy GPS with an outdated map.

No Telematics with stock Roadsters. It is available via third party using OVMS (Openvehicles.com). Do a search, lots of info here on it.

The navigation on my Roadster is legacy GPS with an outdated map.

No Telematics with stock Roadsters. It is available via third party using OVMS (Openvehicles.com). Do a search, lots of info here on it.

That's true for the 1.5 Roadsters but he's looking at a 2.0 or 2.5. They had telematics and the 2.5s have recent map updates available.

@Ari welcome to the forum. Roadsters were sold by version numbers, not by year. In 2010 they made two versions, 2.0 and 2.5. The answers to your questions depend on which version you're looking at. All Roadsters have touch-screens. No Roadsters had voice activated nav unless the owner upgraded the nav unit. They did have turn-by-turn directions (with audio voice) if that's what you mean.

Starting with version 2.0 all Roadsters had telematics although I don't know if it was 3G. They could not upgrade your firmware that way but my 2.5 will transmit a message to Tesla if it has a serious fault, especially a very low battery warning. Tesla can download my vehicle logs from the car to help diagnose problems over the phone.

I believe they switched to a double-din nav/radio unit with backup camera starting with the 2.5s. Hope this helps.

Hi there, and thanks for the detailed reply, helps make sense of things knowing Tesla sold the Roadster by # not year. You say that in versions 2.0, 2.5 and beyond telematics were part of the Roadster software and that Tesla has the option of upgrading firmware, diagnose problems etc.

Does the touchscreen give you an option to turn On, Off or Update every 6 hrs? I am looking at images of the touchscreen on a preowned 2010 online. The dealership whose selling it on behalf of the buyer doesn't seem to know much about the tech specs. Hence, my attempts to ask the real experts on here.

Thanks guys,
-A

Hi there, and thanks for the detailed reply, helps make sense of things knowing Tesla sold the Roadster by # not year. You say that in versions 2.0, 2.5 and beyond telematics were part of the Roadster software and that Tesla has the option of upgrading firmware, diagnose problems etc.

Does the touchscreen give you an option to turn On, Off or Update every 6 hrs? I am looking at images of the touchscreen on a preowned 2010 online. The dealership whose selling it on behalf of the buyer doesn't seem to know much about the tech specs. Hence, my attempts to ask the real experts on here.

Thanks guys,
-A

The 2.x Tesla telematics are limited to just allowing Tesla engineers access to status, vehicle logs and alerts. The owners don't get access to that information remotely. Firmware upgrades are not over-the-air but have to be done by laptop in a service centre.

The OVMS system is a third-party telematics system for Roaster 1.x and 2.x cars (as well as others like Twizy, Volt, Ampera, Leaf, etc). OVMS is designed to allow the end-user telematics access to the car - for monitoring things like charge status, location, etc. OVMS has Apps for Android and iOS to facilitate this.

The navigation in the 2.x cars is supplied by a third party head unit (Alpine, etc). Typically, maps are updated manually by USB.