Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster to Model S HPC adapter to borrow??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to take a drive this weekend and, while I can do it based on the current infrastructure, it would be helpful if I could use some of the roadster HPCs that are in existence. Is there anyone in the Western Washington area who has a roadster HPC to Model S adapter they would be willing to loan me Sunday and Monday? PM me if you do. Thanks in advance!

I too would like to rent/borrow/buy a HPC > Tesla S adapter cable at some point. They are not available to order last time I talked to Tesla. We will need one in May. It would be fantastic if the local Tesla store would just keep 3-4 of them to rent out to people on an as needed basis. I would gladly pay some $ to rent one for the occasional long trip. Ideally we would be going from Everett to Salem, charging for an hour or so in Centralia would allow us to go from Centralia right to Salem without having to stop in Portland. Maybe we could all pool together and buy one for the Burgerville. They could keep it inside and trade people's drivers license as collateral during it's usage.

I too would like to rent/borrow/buy a HPC > Tesla S adapter cable at some point. They are not available to order last time I talked to Tesla. We will need one in May. It would be fantastic if the local Tesla store would just keep 3-4 of them to rent out to people on an as needed basis. I would gladly pay some $ to rent one for the occasional long trip. Ideally we would be going from Everett to Salem, charging for an hour or so in Centralia would allow us to go from Centralia right to Salem without having to stop in Portland. Maybe we could all pool together and buy one for the Burgerville. They could keep it inside and trade people's drivers license as collateral during it's usage.

This is already in the works.

I have had a Roadster/Model S adapter on backorder since around December. I have already started to compile a list of interested parties for adapter sharing at Burgerville in Centralia. The thinking is that interested parties would pool some funds to pay for the adapter and for securing the adapter at Burgerville either by tethering it to the Roadster charger or storing it in some type of lock box. (We have been discussing this at the Tesla Motors forums as well. On that forum I'm Captain_Zap. On TMC Captain_Zap is my spouse.)

We decided that we didn't want to use the Burgerville employees time or otherwise burden them with the responsibility of storing or monitoring the adapter. We also determined a charger in this area would be very busy and it is best that it stays in that location rather than letting anyone transport it to other roadster charger locations. Back in December we had to wait in line to use the slower charger across the street at Wendy's since both chargers at that location were busy.

We need to keep in mind that Roadster owners need to have priority access to that station due to their more limited range. Also, it is their charger first and foremost.

I have been trying to find the people that own the Roadster charger to get permission to tether an adapter to it. Also, I have been looking into to getting permission from Burgerville to attach the adapter to their building. If anyone has any leads on that information it would be appreciated. I'll be pursuing this more aggressively once there is word of the arrival of an adapter on the horizon.

No word on when the adapter will arrive yet. We may end up having Superchargers in the area the before adapter is available to us. Who knows?

Is the HPC powered on all the time? I thought I read that you had to have an employee turn it on for you. A couple of other ideas: Donate a HPWC and have an additional circuit installed for it. I would gladly help with that. Another option would be to donate a HPWC and a DPDT disconnect switch to switch between the HPC and the HPWC. The HPWC could be adjusted internally to limit to 70 AMPS to not overload the 90Amp breaker the HPC is more than likely installed with. We really need a contact at the BurgerVille so we can discuss these things with them.

Is the HPC powered on all the time? I thought I read that you had to have an employee turn it on for you. A couple of other ideas: Donate a HPWC and have an additional circuit installed for it. I would gladly help with that. Another option would be to donate a HPWC and a DPDT disconnect switch to switch between the HPC and the HPWC. The HPWC could be adjusted internally to limit to 70 AMPS to not overload the 90Amp breaker the HPC is more than likely installed with. We really need a contact at the BurgerVille so we can discuss these things with them.

That is an interesting proposal. I haven't received my HPWC yet or the roadster/Model S adapter yet.
It sure would be nice to know when the Superchargers are supposed to be going into service so that we could take that into consideration before launching into a larger project.
There have been hints of Superchargers in Centralia, but nothing I would call first hand, or even second hand information.

- - - Updated - - -

The last I heard was that the NW Superchargers were planned for 2013. But I heard that way back during the first Supercharger announcements.