TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster track time and rollover protection

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Travis Decker, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Travis Decker

Travis Decker New Member

Can anyone direct me to any information about the SCCA or other racing organizations deeming the roadster "NOT A CONVERTIBLE"?

I have not been able to find any info and really want to take it to the track. They say the Elise is fine but unless I have info certifiing the roadsters hoop for the additional weight they consider it a convertible. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

2. strider

strider Active Member

Just send them this picture: 1257243298803_360.jpg

3. Mark77a

Mark77a Member

There is a steel rollover bar above the rear window .. To see it just remove the 4 screws either side of the interior light and pull down the black cover. It's same spec to lotus Elise.

Do post on track experiences.

4. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

5. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

Every time I see this picture it gets me sick... Not just for that Roadster driver and his loss of his car, but because I fear this happening to me from some distracted SUV driver.

1257243298803_360.jpg

Best,

T

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Wow. Hadn't seen that before. Actually makes me feel better about the strength of the Roadster roll bar and windshield frame. But not showing it to my spouse...

7. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#7 wiztecy, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    Don't count on on that windshield pillar to stop anything, that thing will fold very easily when weight is pressed against it. You can do a search on the Lotus forums to see what I'm talking about. As for the built in roll-bar it does a very good job for what its designed to do. Optimal protection would be a full roll-cage, that'll take a beating when a large object like the SUV tries to enter the cabin area. Below is a pic of a car that ran up on an Elise like a ramp, it just folded that windshield pillar like melted butter. A more to the left and the driver would not have been so lucking. Notice the tire track path on the hood of the Elise... Hence my preference to a full cage in the Roadster/Elise/Exige:

2005-lotus-elise-7699.jpg

Below is another angle of supplied pic.... and of course there's a Prius involved!

totaled-tesla-roadster_100231542_m.jpg

8. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

That accident was caused by the Prius who rear-ended the Roadster, forcing him under the back of the VW. The Roadster driver was un-hurt. If I remember correctly, it wasn't his Roadster. I think he was giving it a test drive.

It's funny because my sister was driving a VW Toureg of exactly the same color at the time, and my Roadster is red. I sent her the picture with a stern warning "Don't you ever do that again!"

9. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

ROFLMAO

10. smac

smac Active Member

I have the new Exige V6, I'm 99% sure it has the same hoop as the Roadster / Elise

As the V6 and the Roadster are very similar in weight, maybe you could ask Lotus for some details on the hoop in that application and use that as evidence?