Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster wont start, help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove my 2010 Tesla Roadster Sport 10k miles last on Sunday and today I go to get in and get the message below. Anyone able to help? I'm 7 hours away from a Roadster service center.

VMS : Not receiving BMB version number
DMC FW : Lost VMS comms warning
BMB No data fault cannot start
BMB : No data fault

Hi Big Dc,

We would need to know when you bought the car to determine the battery age...

Since you have few posts, an assumption would be recently.

Do you have a electrical tester that you could measure the (12V) voltage from the cigarette lighter???

You just drove 10,000 miles or the car just tripped the 10,000 mile mark???

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to get more details on your car and situation.

Shawn

Hi Big Dc,

We would need to know when you bought the car to determine the battery age...

Since you have few posts, an assumption would be recently.

Do you have a electrical tester that you could measure the (12V) voltage from the cigarette lighter???

You just drove 10,000 miles or the car just tripped the 10,000 mile mark???

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to get more details on your car and situation.

Shawn
Hey,
Bought the car about a month and a half ago, car has 10k miles on it, bought it with 7,700, I can test the voltage this evening when I get home, we are dipping into the 50's over night in my garage, could a colder temp cause any issues?

Hi Big Dc,

Thank you.

Please try what Peter suggests. The VMS is the brains of the car so a reboot will make the car
"think" more clearly...

Shawn
I unplugged the two modules and let it set unplugged for 15 minutes, then I plugged it back in and came back hours later same codes plus VMS APS low brick voltage???

VMS APS low brick voltage???
Darn.. So you may be actually looking at a problem with your BMB(s). What do you see in the diagnostic menu under ESS->V&T? All blank values under Bricks?

If you are seeing blank values, then you should definitely take the Roadster to a service center that can service Roadsters. Also, I don't think your brick voltage is truly low because the APS will throw that error when it can't communicate with a BMB to get brick voltages. The brick voltages the APS receives when it can't communicate with a BMB are the lowest possible values.

Darn.. So you may be actually looking at a problem with your BMB(s). What do you see in the diagnostic menu under ESS->V&T? All blank values under Bricks?

If you are seeing blank values, then you should definitely take the Roadster to a service center that can service Roadsters. Also, I don't think your brick voltage is truly low because the APS will throw that error when it can't communicate with a BMB to get brick voltages. The brick voltages the APS receives when it can't communicate with a BMB are the lowest possible values.
I looked up how to get to diagnostics mode but I do not have the pin, neither does the person I purchased it from, is there a work around?

If you have it plugged into 240v the battery will maintain temperature. Also is the car charging. Start with a preservation thing, if you are losing power/range despite charging you need to pull the service plug. It’s everyone’s fear here so start with as much organized information as you can. It’s easy to jump around on a thread like this and go round and round in circles.

VMS : Not receiving BMB version number

DMC FW : Lost VMS comms warning 968

BMB No data fault cannot start 885

BMB : No data fault 50&51

Step one VMS reboot:

Result same codes plus

VMS APS low brick voltage ?43 Red

Next check brick diagnostics. ESS->V&T

Vbatt 389v

Bricks

Vave 3.93V

Vmin 3.91V

Vmax 3.94V

BSM

Vbatt 389 (+194/-193)

Less -1A

Vess –

Vaps 1.0V

Vsb 10.6V

Balancing shows no data just an empty grid

• Helpful
Reactions: Roadster
You could have a bad APS (or fuse for it), both of which are inside the ESS, so not something you can do. Is the cooling pump running when you wake up the car? If not than the APS is definitely not working. The Vaps reading should be above 13V, not 1.0V as shown.

Your brick voltages look charged enough for a few weeks. If it is going to be longer than that to get it to Tesla, put it in tow mode and remove the ESS disconnect.

• Informative
Reactions: Roadster
The Vaps reading should be above 13V, not 1.0V as shown
One of the errors is ID: 43
VMS APS low brick voltage
The APS is likely just reacting to the missing brick voltage. However, the V&T screen in the diagnostics menu is showing brick data. Your battery cells appear fine (3.93V average brick voltage x 99 bricks = 389V), so no brick is actually under voltage. MLAUTO is likely on to something with the APS being the source of the problem in the battery.

Charge your 12V battery so you can keep it healthy and keep the VDS on to check the diagnostics menu or pull a log file. In fact, check out the log file and see if there are any other codes in there that aren't showing up on the VDS. Maybe you'll see an event between Sunday and Tuesday that can explain the current state of the Roadster and single out a culprit.

Big Dc, I assume based on your location zipcode that you could also try the Indianapolis, IN Tesla service center. I know JR Lamerson, the lead technician, is fairly knowledgeable with Roadsters and has the diagnostic tools to help you.

Peter,
So far I have reset the VMS, replaced the 12 Volt battery, pulled the ESS disconnect let it sit 10 minutes and still get all the same codes, anything else I can try before I load up the trailer and head to Chicago?