Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadtrip shortly after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have scheduled my MY delivery for the 20th, and will be leaving for the beach on July 1st. (~250 miles, with supercharge half way for a break)... Would you take your new model Y for such a long road trip within 2 weeks of picking up my new model Y?

Would you take it this far so early in owning it? Or give it a few weeks to debug any issues?

I would have no qualms whatsoever taking it on a trip directly after picking it up.

We hear all about paint defects, loose trim, or cars that don't make it past Tesla's inspections. How many cars do we see that brick shortly after delivery?

I would have no qualms whatsoever taking it on a trip directly after picking it up.

We hear all about paint defects, loose trim, or cars that don't make it past Tesla's inspections. How many cars do we see that brick shortly after delivery?

I've seen 2 or 3 people have charging issues, and at least one person have an issue where a temperature sensor for the coolant was in backwards and the car thought it was over heating so he couldn't go over 65 mph (he was something like 500 miles from home too). So there is a tiny bit of risk, but I think worst case you could find a service center somewhere in whatever state you are in and beg for an emergency repair. I'm thinking of rolling the dice and going for a long weekend road trip the week that I get the car. Haven't been using any PTO lately, so why not.

I've seen 2 or 3 people have charging issues, and at least one person have an issue where a temperature sensor for the coolant was in backwards and the car thought it was over heating so he couldn't go over 65 mph (he was something like 500 miles from home too). So there is a tiny bit of risk, but I think worst case you could find a service center somewhere in whatever state you are in and beg for an emergency repair. I'm thinking of rolling the dice and going for a long weekend road trip the week that I get the car. Haven't been using any PTO lately, so why not.
Does Tesla still have the mobile Rangers? I've never used them, but I've heard tales of them riding through the night to rescue those in distress.

Make sure to drive 30-60 miles when you first get to calibrate the sensors and camera, then make sure it will take a charge. At least that is what I would do. That should provide a little shake down, make sure sensors and cameras are operational, and also ensure that the charging works so you do not get stuck somewhere. If any issues, then still time to get fixed at your SC before your trip.

I have scheduled my MY delivery for the 20th, and will be leaving for the beach on July 1st.
(~250 miles, with supercharge half way for a break)...
Would you take your new model Y for such a long road trip within 2 weeks of picking up my new model Y?
Would you take it this far so early in owning it? Or give it a few weeks to debug any issues?
Try getting the latest update if WiFi is available in your garage.

Also, first thing would be getting good protection floor mats, the original are kind of flimsy.

If you park in the sun, getting a sun windshield might be a good recommendation.

And get a SD card for the dashcam.

Last edited: