Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadtrip/supercharging/navigation ' wants'.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a couple of longer trips this summer , 1400km, and 1000km. Overall as usual, driving the Model X on the highway is fantastic. Solid vehicle with immense acceleration making passing a breeze.
However the following range from mildly annoying to frustrating.
1. Navigation will not re-route.
Literally five minutes after leaving a supercharger, I get the warning to keep speed under 110km/hr to make the next stop. This is where the speed limit is 120km/hour. Why not have me charge longer? Why not re-route or give the option of re-routing to the next supercharger on the highway, instead of bypassing that one and keeping the original planned supercharger as the next stop, yet having to drive below the speed limit to get there.
2. No stored data- I consistently take 5-10 per cent more battery charge than it says I will need. It would be much better to individualize this on average energy used/driving habits.
3. No map preference options- every time I pull down the directions on the map, or turn of the car, the map orientation resets. I prefer having my vehicle displayed always point 'up'. Why cannot I just set that, instead of having to continually reset this.
4. lack of warning from navigation-sometimes it will give me a warning about an upcoming turn, but often that warning is way too late, ie. take exit right lane, which happens right when you get there. not sure why it warns you ahead of time sometimes, and past the last minute at others. Garmin had this figured out over a decade ago.
5. . No sirius xm app.
6. Key Fob- not sure if this happens to anyone else? I often have the fob in my front pocket. since it is a one press on the top to lock everything, often if i am leaning into the trunk to get something my leg presses the bumper and the hatch starts to close on my head.

While I get some of these are minor, they are all minor compared to the challenge of FSD. Which makes me wonder how far away it really is.

I wish 'waypoint' get finally added, so you could decide your own itinerary because:

- you need to make some detours to do some errands,
but you want to know in advance if you will have to use a supercharger during your trip,

- or you don't like the route that the navigation uses,
because there are some unprotected left turn while few blocks away there will be a traffic light with separated lanes,

- or the navigation decides to take a shortcut using residential streets with a lot of stop signs
instead of using larger avenues, something which might be longer on the map, but will faster when driving,

- or the opposite, the navigation try as much as possible using a freeway forcing making some detours
to reach an entrance while it could be simpler and faster to use street roads,

- also you would like to choose which supercharger to use, because I noticed that often the navigation
skips a V3 supercharger and redirect to a v2 supercharger, or because a supercharger has more amenities,

Note: from the @Ocelot comment above, it would be nice if the navigation indicates:
- the estimated percentage of charging left when reaching a supercharger and
- the estimated percentage of charging needed to reach the next supercharger.

So far, the navigation only indicates the remaining percentage of charging when reaching the final destination.
However the estimated percentage left when reaching any supercharger is available if you select this supercharger as your final destination.

So if you select in reverse each supercharger one by one as final destination, you can then have an idea of the percentage of charging left,
- something very useful for very long stretch between two superchargers,
- or if you are driving a road in a mountain area with a lot of hills.

Note: With the new release (2021.24) and after so many years from every one asking for it,
I noticed that you can now just click on the range icon to get the battery percentage or the battery range.
So I can dream that one day (?) the 'waypoint' will be finally released, but I don't lose my breath for it yet !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ocelot
Since it's not a sufficient plan to reach the night's hotel with a fixed battery level, I put the hotel as a waypoint into ABRP and the next supercharger down the freeway as the destination. It'll plan that out including intermediate superchargers.

Is there a better way?