Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock chip issues expected with MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a really new Stealth M3 and I live in an area that uses a ton of cinder on the road. I have extensive rock chipping on the rockers and side panels near the real wheels with only 3k of driving. I know there have been many complaints about tesla paint, but I am wondering what people are seeing/expecting with the Model Y? It appears that tesla used a plastic for the rockers that isn't painted, so I imagine this won't be as much of an issue with this model. Considering a trade for a new MY while the trade in value of my stealth M3 is still high.

Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Based on other conversations you won't get that you need to for your M3, at least not from a trade-in to Tesla anyway. Maybe try selling it outright. My Y is in for full PPF right now as I was worried about chipping. It was reasonable to do the entire car and not have to worry about it. That said it looks like in front of the rear wheels on that rocker panel will be at a minimum a place you will want to install some protection on. While this is my first Tesla/EV I can say I really like it, even if I only have 400 miles on it. :)

Reactions: Electric Steve
The rocker panels on the MY are plastic so don't have to worry about paint chips there, the problem is the lower back portion of the rear doors, right in front of the rear wheels, it sticks out further then even the M3 I think and rocks will pummel that area :( I decided to just go with a full PPF wrap to make sure the paint is well protected everywhere! I actually had one tiny chip already, luckily a little touch-up fixed it just fine. With all that said, the rear doors on any car with any paint would have issues like this, it's not unique to Tesla. My BMW was the same.

Reactions: Electric Steve