Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolls-Royce wants to make an electric Phantom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see that our friend JohnnyBimmer in the comment section. He lists his occupation as "internet retailer." Sounds like Kent/Kerry the Bike.

I really like the idea of an Electric Rolls Royce. It makes perfect sense for all of the reasons mentioned. This would be another step toward a viable EV market, and help pay R&D to improve performance and cost.

Last edited:
Rolls should build it, if only because there’s something so right about a car called the Phantom being utterly silent.

My favorite line from the Wired link. There is something seductive about all that luxury being completely silent. I'm definitely hoping it happens.

With such a heavy vehicle, wonder what the energy use per mile will be? Can any of the limeys estimate from 2p/mile (which is probably based on nothing to begin with).

They really shouldn't try to market this on cost of operation, but a quiet ride and instant torque.

With such a heavy vehicle, wonder what the energy use per mile will be? Can any of the limeys estimate from 2p/mile (which is probably based on nothing to begin with).

They really shouldn't try to market this on cost of operation, but a quiet ride and instant torque.
Before the days of mandatory MPG ratings and CO2 measurements, Rolls' comment on fuel economy was that if you had to ask then you couldn't afford it.

Night-time electricity rates in the UK can be 3p/KwH, daytime rates are more like 10p, so 2p/mile is between 200 and 670wH.

It should be noted that the Daily Mail's commitment to editorial impartiality and accurate scientific reporting is equivalent to what I believe Fox News is like. Advanced critical analysis skills are not required amongst its readership...

Last edited:
Well at least we know what plug they are considering:

_51335093_rollsroycephantomexperimentalelectriccar.jpg

From BBC News - Rolls-Royce to show electric car at Geneva motor show

BBC News - Rolls-Royce launches electric car at Geneva motor show

"It is a market research project," chief executive Torsten Muller-Otvos told BBC News.

The experimental car also aims to change customers' attitudes by making them aware that even ultra-luxury cars will have to move with the times.

"We can't use 12-cylinder engines for ever," Mr Muller-Otvos said.

The electric Rolls-Royce uses "tried and tested electric technology", Mr Muller-Otvos said.

Though unlike most electric cars, it does not require owners to plug it in every day.

Instead, the car uses an inductive charging system, with a panel fixed under the car connecting remotely to a panel on the garage floor.

75kWh battery according to bobbyllew.

The video dpeilow linked to confirms 3 phase charging (that is the Mennekes connector). Also says they're using a 96 cell Li-ion battery pack (where the V12 engine would be) and shows two water cooled motors coupled to what looks like a single speed transaxle.