Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Rack for the M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dbog

May 28, 2016
So Cal
I was pricing out a Tesla S prior to the unveiling of the M3 and was dismayed that the roof rack's associated attachment points are only available with the panoramic roof option. As I will be using the M3 here in So Cal and it can get a bit hot in the summer, I was planning on not ordering the panoramic roof as an option in order to keep the interior cooler, but I would like to be able to attach a roof rack for bikes and surf boards. Does anyone know if there will be a provision for the roof rack on the non-panoramic roof?

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. Go Rough Riders! Is there any evidence that Tesla follows these forums?
There is evidence that Tesla reads TMC posts.

As to a Model 3 roof rack, @S'toon is correct. TMC members have no information about that. But that won't stop the speculation.

I expect that the 3 will be like the S: if you want to be able to mount a roof rack you will need to get the sunroof option. But I am only speculating...

Except for cost, there is no reason not to get the Pano roof. You get more headroom, the large roof is nice to open on mild days and it really does not make the car heat up. I had no trouble last summer even when temps were in triple digits. It also really impresses your passengers.

Except for cost, there is no reason not to get the Pano roof. You get more headroom, the large roof is nice to open on mild days and it really does not make the car heat up. I had no trouble last summer even when temps were in triple digits. It also really impresses your passengers.

I'm in agreement with the bulk of your comment other than I'm not a particular fan of sun roofs; convertibles, yes but not sun roofs. I'd rather not spend money on options I don't want or find value in. It would be nice if one were able to spec the M3 to one's preference without the need to spend money, in this case, just to be able to mount a rack to carry my surf board. As this is the electric car for the masses, I hope Tesla is taking this into consideration. We don't all want fully optioned cars. I'd really rather spend my money on additional range.

Spoken like someone who hasn't experienced a cold winter. It may not make the heat up, but it does radiate in cold. We get down to -35, -40 degrees here in winter. We need all the preservation of heat in a car we can get.

There is evidence that Tesla reads TMC posts.

As to a Model 3 roof rack, @S'toon is correct. TMC members have no information about that. But that won't stop the speculation.

I expect that the 3 will be like the S: if you want to be able to mount a roof rack you will need to get the sunroof option. But I am only speculating...

Actually, I've never understood why it's that way on the S.

Given the numbers of Model 3s soon to be on the roads, I'd guess that third-party rack makers (Yakima I think is the OEM for the Model S rack) will accommodate the demand if Tesla won't. Though it won't be as easy to do the "clips and towers" type, since the door is frameless :(

It's not the outside temperature that causes the car to heat up with a big sunroof. It's the IR energy from the sun. You're in central Indiana. The amount of solar insolation in your area is about the lowest in the lower 48. A glass roof can make a big difference somewhere like Georgia or Florida and a REALLY big difference in Arizona, NM, and southern Nevada/SE California.

Reactions: Zoomit