Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roofbag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I would not do that without something like a rack bed at the bottom of the bag because I would worry the bag rubbing the glass while in motion. It will cause scratches to the glass.

This might help to answer the part 2 of your question.

Here is the link:
Tesla Glass Roof Strength

"When the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) tested the Model 3’s glass roof, it was able to handle over 20,000lbs of force."

Upvote 0
Glass load capacity isn’t an issue however the tie-downs, running through the cabin, definitely is. If you’re committed to the idea of a rooftop bag, perhaps buy some suction mounts to use as tie down points? I do this, for short distances, and it works well.

C50FC1D7-72AF-4086-8096-7E8073EEF82A.jpeg

For longer distances and/or higher speeds, its likely best to invest in proper roof cross bars for enhanced safety/security.

Upvote 0
Has anyone used a soft Roofbag on a Model Y? Any idea what the load capacity of the glass would be? Any concerns about running the tie-down webbing across the weather strips and through the cabin? Thanks!
I used this roofbag on my Model Y during a recent camping trip: Amazon Basics Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag
However, I used it in conjunction with a Thule Canyon XT basket and the Tesla roof rack cross bars. Everything worked perfectly together.

Personally, I would be very leary of putting any sort of load directly on the glass. I'm sure the glass could support a decent static load but as soon as you expose the glass to the combined effects of roofbag weight and acceleration/deceleration, shock loading from bumps, etc... that sounds like a guaranteed recipe to crack the glass.

Upvote 0
I used this roofbag on my Model Y during a recent camping trip: Amazon Basics Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag
However, I used it in conjunction with a Thule Canyon XT basket and the Tesla roof rack cross bars. Everything worked perfectly together.

Personally, I would be very leary of putting any sort of load directly on the glass. I'm sure the glass could support a decent static load but as soon as you expose the glass to the combined effects of roofbag weight and acceleration/deceleration, shock loading from bumps, etc... that sounds like a guaranteed recipe to crack the glass.

This “will it fit” chart supports your conjecture that placing the bag directly on the roof simply isn't a good idea…

0697E2C3-9764-4AEA-B9A2-1181D8DF5383.jpeg

Upvote 0
I’ll add that without the cross bars and basket this would be a bad idea on the tempered glass.

And to add another data point. If you think range suffers on the highway now, wait until you have a roof basket / bag.
The roof bag is the real range killer. Just the cross bars and basket is about a 5-10% range hit (I have noticed if you drive over 70 mph its closer to 10%). Add a fully stuffed roof bag with a taller profile and the range hit is probably more like 15%+. Range hit is worth it to me since the basket can hold a ton of camping gear and my CCS1 charging adapter has nearly doubled my DC fast charging options for road trips.

Upvote 0
The roof bag is the real range killer. Just the cross bars and basket is about a 5-10% range hit (I have noticed if you drive over 70 mph its closer to 10%). Add a fully stuffed roof bag with a taller profile and the range hit is probably more like 15%+. Range hit is worth it to me since the basket can hold a ton of camping gear and my CCS1 charging adapter has nearly doubled my DC fast charging options for road trips.
I agree the hit is worth it as it does add a lot of hauling capacity. We use it for beach trips to haul all the sandy kid toys and such.

Just wanted the OP to be aware of what’s they’re getting into as I had to find out the hard way.

Reactions: gr8tdane24
Upvote 0