Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Round trip from Miami to Naples in 1 Day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello to all,

I am looking to make a trip from Miami to Naples this Monday, have lunch in Naples basically and then head back to Miami. Round trip is approximately 252. If I force "Max Range" to hypothetical 270 miles that leaves me around 18 miles of head room. Can you say "Distance Anxiety"? The furthest distance I have driven in one day has only been just over 100 miles. Neither of the two restaurants we have chosen know what to do with our charging requests. Naples does not seem to have any public charging stations (Tesla, this would be a good point for Super Chargers), albeit, there are two Tesla kind owners in Naples who offer their private homes to charge, but at some distance from where we wish to stop.

So... thoughts, suggestions? Anyone live in Naples and know of a decent restaurant for lunch were we can plug-in while we dine? Or do we just bring one of the ICE machines for this trip?

Thanks for your response.

-Glenn

The Naples area is definitely a logical choice for super chargers, but unfortunately none there yet. We have a very active users group over here and many of the members have offered their personal charging facilities to EV owners. I would expect you'll have some offers or suggestions of public charger locations soon. I'm too far north to help you out, otherwise our 14-50 would be available to you! Good luck!

Hello to all,

I am looking to make a trip from Miami to Naples this Monday, have lunch in Naples basically and then head back to Miami. Round trip is approximately 252. If I force "Max Range" to hypothetical 270 miles that leaves me around 18 miles of head room. Can you say "Distance Anxiety"? The furthest distance I have driven in one day has only been just over 100 miles. Neither of the two restaurants we have chosen know what to do with our charging requests. Naples does not seem to have any public charging stations (Tesla, this would be a good point for Super Chargers), albeit, there are two Tesla kind owners in Naples who offer their private homes to charge, but at some distance from where we wish to stop.

So... thoughts, suggestions? Anyone live in Naples and know of a decent restaurant for lunch were we can plug-in while we dine? Or do we just bring one of the ICE machines for this trip?

-Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Congratulations on you recent delivery.

It is true that we have two club members in the Naples area who offer their charging sources to other participating members. However, you would have to join the Club Charging Network and offer your own charging source to others in order to take advantage of their or others members' equipment. This is something you might wish to consider in the future for another planned trip.

It may be a little late to do this research on a Friday before a Monday trip, but you might want to search for an RV Park in the area and determine whether they will charge a flat fee or hourly rate to charge. I happened to send an email to two RV Resorts in Naples and never even received the courtsey of a response.

The following Nissan dealership in Naples offers public charging.

Naples Nissan
3640 Pine Ridge Rd
Naples, FL 34109
239-643-3800

Larry

I've done a 240 miles round trip with no problems. You have to watch average projected range until you feel comfortable, but I'd be quite prepared to do the 252 mile round trip in my S.

Alternative suggestion: on the way back if you see yourself running short go straight to Dania Beach and top up on their HPWC for 30 minutes before heading home.

whole foods in south florida has public chargers, maybe find a place to eat in the same plaza as one... nevermind, I had you going from naples to miami...

That might be a good idea. I notice that Nigel's post here states that there is a charger in the Sarasota Whole Foods, but I don't see it listed on either Recargo.com or ChargePoint.com. Perhaps there is a charger at the Naples Whole Foods, but it also is not listed.

Naples Whole Foods
9101 Strada Place
Naples Florida 34108

Larry

EDIT: Called the Naples store, they do not have a charger.

Last edited:
Yes, the car will let you set a wide range of charging rates. I believe the car will automatically limit the rate to 40 amps based on the single on-board charger.

Larry
Thanks Larry. I was curious because I believe the HPWC has a different cable than the mobile charge cable (larger guage, etc.). Also with the J1772, one will likely encounter chargers with a variety of rates (some in rare cases >40A). I assume if we plug into a public charger like a ChargePoint, the model S will "try" to pull as much as it can (to the limit of the onboard chargers) and the charging station itself will only provide as much current as it is capable of. It don't believe there is any "communication" between a non-Tesla charger and the Model S letting the vehicle know how much to "pull". The 120v and 240v adaptors for the mobile cable do cause some type of feedback to the car to set the "max" rate (12A vs. 40A for example).

Thanks for stepping in Larry.

Steve, just a story to illustrate: my car shows 80A as the default on the charge screen. At home the car automatically draws 40A from my NEMA 14-50. I plugged in to a chargepoint for a photo session at Mote Marine Lab this morning and the car was automatically drawing 30A. I have never reset the charge screen from the default 80A setting. Model S is a clever beast.

Thanks for stepping in Larry.

Steve, just a story to illustrate: my car shows 80A as the default on the charge screen. At home the car automatically draws 40A from my NEMA 14-50. I plugged in to a chargepoint for a photo session at Mote Marine Lab this morning and the car was automatically drawing 30A. I have never reset the charge screen from the default 80A setting. Model S is a clever beast.
Thanks both of you, I get it now. The power control systems in the S are quite amazing- something to marvel at really. I never thought I would need twin chargers since 40A at home is more than enough for me. However, "quick charging" on the road could come in handy where there are no super shargers, but >40A AC public chargers available. Have either of you encountered anything other than an HPWC that will give you more than 40A?

Have either of you encountered anything other than an HPWC that will give you more than 40A?

Not so far.

I think in a few years when other large battery cars are on the road we will see larger capacity chargers. The SAE standard has finally been released. It can handle direct current capacities greater than CHAdeMO. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over time. Personally, I think this will be a moot point for the Model S because I believe that Tesla will roll out the Supercharger network faster than others can rollout high capacity chargers.

In the meantime those of us who plan to take longer trips may have to learn a bit more about RV parks who routinely have 50A circuits. :wink:

Larry

Last edited:
Hello to all,

-Glenn

Glenn, the longest trip I've made was 255 miles with four adults on board and traveled between 60 and 65 mph. Came home with 10 miles to spare. If it looks like it might be close, just slow down.