Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Route 50 in Nevada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I'm thinking about traveling Route 50 in Nevada. It doesn't look like there are places to charge along it (no RV parks or anything for about 250 miles). Has anyone done it before?
Route 50 is my favorite drive but they call it the loneliest road in America for a reason. Not much there between Ely and Fernley ( 285 miles). I'd love to do it but need at least a campground with a hook-up and it doesn't look like there are any. I recall looking a year ago and thought there was a BB in Austin with charging but can't find it now.You could try Cozy Mtn Motel. They have AC so might be possible to plug into that (10 mph).

Route 50 is my favorite drive but they call it the loneliest road in America for a reason. Not much there between Ely and Fernley ( 285 miles). I'd love to do it but need at least a campground with a hook-up and it doesn't look like there are any. I recall looking a year ago and thought there was a BB in Austin with charging but can't find it now.You could try Cozy Mtn Motel. They have AC so might be possible to plug into that (10 mph).
Austin RV Park has full hookups!

Looks like it's time to make a grass roots effort to be grass rood Destination Charging Evangelists. It's time to call motels along the way and convince them that it is in their best interests to let Tesla pay for installing HPWC's at their motel.

Looks like it's time to make a grass roots effort to be grass rood Destination Charging Evangelists. It's time to call motels along the way and convince them that it is in their best interests to let Tesla pay for installing HPWC's at their motel.
There is not a whole of people to convince in Austin or Eureka, but nice places to visit.:smile:

Piece of cake! Yes, The Austin RV Park has full hookups and there is also the Silver Sky Lodge in Eureka, that has RV hookups as well.

I had no problem setting my cruise at 50mph to smooth through Monument Valley to cut over to the Grand Canyon from Blanding UT. My favorite was driving 45mph on the famous Highway 12 to make it from Green River, UT to the Cannonville, UT KOA. (Awesome road...check it out)

I have though about driving Highway 50 in Nevada as well. I can't understand why folks need to drive 85mph in the middle of nowhere. I would kickback and drive 40mph...

Piece of cake! Yes, The Austin RV Park has full hookups and there is also the Silver Sky Lodge in Eureka, that has RV hookups as well.
I'm going to drive to the SFBA and then I'll have about 4 days free, so I'm really torn about either doing Hwy 50 or driving through the Death Valley. I think I'm going to do the Death Valley trip - it's supposed to be flowering now.

Last fall, I stayed at the Prospector Hotel while visiting Ely in my Twin Ice. The Prospector Hotel has an RV Park in Ely, and when asked, they said that they would welcome a Telsa owner spending the night at the hotel to charge at one of their 14-50's in the RV park.

Is the RV park next to the hotel? Do they charge if your a hotel guest? I really want to take a trip to Great Basin and there aren't alot of options for charging near Baker except for Ely

Just came back from my last ICE travel trip. Traded my ICE SUV for a beater pickup. We stayed at a few RV spots on 127 out of Baker (Topoca and Shoshone) for the showers. I guess in the future I can see me and my tent spending the night in an RV spot while my car charges on a 14-50.

I 'd rather be with my car than have it be by itself in an RV spot while I stayed in a motel. I usually have the rule that says at least every other day I am getting shower. Maybe I can change that to state that anytime my overnight can be satisfied by a supercharger, I can get a hotel room. :)

I've charged at the Prospector 4-5 times while doing the Silver State Classic Challenge. They won't make advance reservations, but there is one hookup site where the space is too small for most trailers and RVs, and it's usually available even when the RV park is full.

Should also mention that it's possible to drive between Las Vegas and Ely on 318. The two charge stops I've used are Lane's Ranch Hotel just north of Lund (among a half dozen aging 30A hookups there is a single 50A hookup that not even the hotel people know about, and they will let you use it for free with a hotel stay). Also in Ash Springs there is a Shell station with 50A hookups they will let you use for $20.

I can see the need/benefit of a unique forum section or even interactive web site devoted to "road trips" and "out of the way" Tesla travel tips: unpublished charging opportunities, friendly (and unfriendly) locations, travel issues that only an EV/Tesla driver might face, etc. Perhaps a forum format is not flexible and organized well enough for thus sort of inquiry.

If my web/data base skills were up to the job, I'd gladly take such a project on, but they aren't. Anyone feel so inclined? (Donations could be accepted toward support.)

Reactions: AtAge19
I can see the need/benefit of a unique forum section or even interactive web site devoted to "road trips" and "out of the way" Tesla travel tips: unpublished charging opportunities, friendly (and unfriendly) locations, travel issues that only an EV/Tesla driver might face, etc. Perhaps a forum format is not flexible and organized well enough for thus sort of inquiry.

If my web/data base skills were up to the job, I'd gladly take such a project on, but they aren't. Anyone feel so inclined? (Donations could be accepted toward support.)
Sounds like an app needs to be built. :)