Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rubber ring inside GE charger plug??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anyone else has seen this before. At a Hilton, I tried to plug my Tesla adapter into a GE charging station plug to charge my Tesla, I noticed that the adapter doesn’t fit all the way into the plug. I looked inside and I noticed an Orange rubber ring all the way deep inside the plug preventing the adapter from clicking into place. Non Tesla cars are able to use the plug. Is that intentional sabotage or did the rubber ring get stuck in the plug from one of the cars?

Attachments

• B96DBF28-ED0C-498B-8796-E17B6598D4C6.jpeg
    B96DBF28-ED0C-498B-8796-E17B6598D4C6.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 206
It most likely comes with the charging station. After a certain amount of use, the ring moves and it becomes a hassle for anyone to plug-in. However, the Tesla adapters are particularly impacted.

You can use a key or baby pliers to remove the ring.

The brand of public J1772 station most common in Quebec, AddEnergie, also has one of those rings, so I'm familiar with the issue.

Never seen anything like that, but I would assume it's either used as a gasket for waterproofing or designed to discourage adapter usage. As someone who has bent the control pilot pin on their charger as a result of using a damaged public plug, I can understand that EVSE owners might not be so keen on people using adapters. By the way, I used a small metal straw (catheter) to straighten out the pin.