Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Universal Wall Connector and "Compatibility mode"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed the UWC and am now a member of the "48 amp" club. However with my wifes 2016 Chevy Volt, I noticed a weirdness: I had set the Access Control to "All Vehicles". The Volt charges OK under this setting. But the delayed charging, so it would charge during off-peak times, was not working. It would start charging immediately. To make a longer story short, the solution/workaround is to set the Access Control to "Compatibility Mode".

I did notice that under "All Vehicles", it would take several seconds for the car to notice it was plugged in. Whereas under "Compatibility Mode" the recognition is nearly immediate. I'm guessing the UWC is doing some CCS-like inquiries to the car up front - since other Access Control settings can be things like "Tesla only" or even by VIN.

One nuance of the Volt is that one can override the delayed charging by doing a plug/unplug/re-plug sequence within 5 seconds. This triggers a temporary override of the delayed charging. I'm thinking that somehow the Volt is seeing this "double click" and doing the temporary override.

Anyone know more details of the differences? From reading some other threads (e.g., the Rivian one), it seems some cars don't even charge under "All Vehicles"!

Installed the UWC and am now a member of the "48 amp" club. However with my wifes 2016 Chevy Volt, I noticed a weirdness: I had set the Access Control to "All Vehicles". The Volt charges OK under this setting. But the delayed charging, so it would charge during off-peak times, was not working. It would start charging immediately. To make a longer story short, the solution/workaround is to set the Access Control to "Compatibility Mode".

I did notice that under "All Vehicles", it would take several seconds for the car to notice it was plugged in. Whereas under "Compatibility Mode" the recognition is nearly immediate. I'm guessing the UWC is doing some CCS-like inquiries to the car up front - since other Access Control settings can be things like "Tesla only" or even by VIN.

One nuance of the Volt is that one can override the delayed charging by doing a plug/unplug/re-plug sequence within 5 seconds. This triggers a temporary override of the delayed charging. I'm thinking that somehow the Volt is seeing this "double click" and doing the temporary override.

Anyone know more details of the differences? From reading some other threads (e.g., the Rivian one), it seems some cars don't even charge under "All Vehicles"!
I suspect that Compatibility mode uses the J1772 protocol right off the bat whereas the regular mode first attempts to use the Tesla protocol and falls back to J1772 after some timeout period. Too long of a timeout period may be why some cars do not charge. They might give up on the charger.